Joliet, Il.
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Wanted dead or alive: Yellow "mustard" Algae

I'd like to find this no good scoundrel and put him to the test. Is he what he's made of or not. I'd like to find out! :twisted: lol

Hi all...

If you've got mustard algae or what you believe to be mustard algae I'd love to get a sample and look at it under a microscope. I know a few people have had recurring problems in previous years and would appreciate it if he or anyone else who comes across this stuff could send me a sample.

Matt4x4...I've read about your recurring problem with this stuff...if it comes back could you send a sample? Is there anyone else who has also had a recurring problem with mustard algae?

Also any pictures from above the water is appreciated too. But close-ups from a skimmer sock, the inside of a filter, squeeze bottle sample...anything would be great!

Any descriptions of how your mustard algae behaved?

Thanks,
dan

Doing some searching on Pleurochloris pyrenoidosa I found this article this article on this yellow algae. I'll attach a copy of the common mustard algae picture from that article.

Also...anything in particular to prepare these samples on the slides?

thanks,
dan

Attachments

• mustard alga microscope.gif
    mustard alga microscope.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 143
I changed the title to include other forms of algae instead of limiting to mustard algae. Heck...even if you think you've got clean water I'll post some pictures of that too ;)

Huh...clean water! LOL.

take care all,
dan

Dan, any suggestions on capturing a sample of this stuff? Any tips on what size sample you need and how you would prefer it shipped (could I take a 'glob' and smear it on a piece of paper, or should it be in water?) I'd love to send some samples that I suspect are the stuff Matt 4X4 has talked about, but need to figure out the proper collection and shipping methods - I'd hate to waste both of our time by sending you something you can't use :oops:

Thanks for doing this to advance our collective knowledge of a common enemy! :goodjob: - Ted

Hi Waste :)

Collecting a "substance" that's on the bottom could really be difficult if it's powdery rather than slimy. You have to approach very slowly so you don't disperse everything into the surrounding water :shock: You can use a small bottle with a nozzle on top (I used the water sample bottle supplied in Ben's kit). Squeeze the air out above water and then proceed to dive sloooowly. Once you get close, approach slow and start to draw the water into the bottle. Then draw in as much of the substance as you can before you run out of breath.

LSBarkley used an empty 35mm film container (with the top sealed with tape) and it worked great! Throw how ever many 35mm container you got in a zip-lock bag...place in a bubble wrap envelope and send it to me. If you need my mailing address just pm me.

Especially this first year of doing this, I figure I'll learn a little more from each type of sample I could get.

thanks!
dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.