Refilling empty pool w/tap water. Need help w/Chem balancing

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,
I am newbie and just had liner replaced. I have also ordered refill to testkit thru TFT.

Now we are refilling the empty pool with tap water via hose. It will probably be filled by Friday to start the sand filter.

Question:
1. What do I need to prep and have ready from chemical balancing point of view? Considering it's fresh water, I hope do not need to much chemical in the begining.

If somebody could help me with different water tests and chemical balancing that I need to do before starting using the pool, I would appreciate it.

I am planning to do following tests once the water is filled:
FC, CC, TA, CYA & PH.

Thanks,

No problem, in the meantime I recommend you take a sample of the fill water from the hose over to a local pool store, if you can, and have them test it. It will give us a starting point while you wait for your kit and we can suggest products you might need.

For sure you will need stabilizer and chlorine. Use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA/stabilizer you will need to reach 50ppm, calculate it based on your gallonage and then you'll know how many jugs of stabilizer to purchase, along with liquid chlorine or bleach. Do you plan to use BBB or chlorinate with tablets? IF you plan to use tablets, you want to calculate your CYA to reach 30ppm instead.

FPM gave you the best advice. Test your fill water. That makes it easy to figure what you're going to need once the pool is filled.

Are you filling from a well? Regardless, when you take the sample to the PS have them test it for metals.

Thing one get some chlorine in there while filling, start with about half a gallon of bleach once it gets 1/4 full , then add about another half gallon per day from there until you get your test kit. This should keep at least some chlorine in the water and keep you from starting out with an algae bloom. You can fine tune everything else once the test kit gets in. Expect to need stabilizer for initial dose, depending on your local water and conditions you may tend to have pH drift up or down so hold off until you see if it is high or low to know what to buy.

Ike

we finally have the new vinyl. Currently tap water is been filled in.

Question:
He had trouble with pool light and hence left thing open. He kept the light on the deck with wire dangling.

He is going to come on Monday and asked us to fill water fully. I am little confused, will it not affect the electric cabling and how would he put it back in if water is filled.

Should I wait until light is fixed before filling water further.

You should continue filling.

The light is supposed to be able to be removed from the fixture and placed on the deck even when the pool is full of water. The extra cable gets coiled up and placed in the light niche behind the light. The niche is designed so that water can get behind the light even when the light is installed.

Thank you, I have continued filling.

BTW, I received TFT test refill today. Here is the test result for water (pool is currently half full).

FC: 0
TA: 55
CYA: 0
Ph: 7.2
CH:100

Should I wait until pool is fully filled with water or can I start the chemical balancing.

Walmart carries the HTH brand of stabilizer for a reasonable price - otherwise yes, you may need to go to pool stores. Places like Lowes, etc. with pool departments may also carry it.
Sams Club has large boxes of Baking Soda for less. As for Borax I've not seen large boxes of it but believe Walmart prob has the cheapest price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally, the pool is full and the filter is running now. My current numbers are as follows:
FC: 0
TA: 55
CYA: 0
Ph: 7.2
CH:100

Planned steps:
1. Based on pool calculator, I am planning to add baking soda 13lbs by mixing it in water and distributing it evenly in the pool. I did add first dose of 6lbs last night.
2. I will test the water after 2hrs for both TA and Ph. If the Ph is about 7.4 or 7.5, I will go ahead and add at least 2 gallons of chlorine to keep the pool santized.
3. I have bought 4lb stabilizer, I will add it tomorrow evening to increase CYA numbers.

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks!

While the CYA level is zero, and for 24 hours after adding CYA, you should add 2 ppm of chlorine in the evening after sunset. Starting 24 hours after adding CYA, start testing your FC level daily and aim for a suitable FC level based on the CYA level you were trying to achieve (until a week goes by and you can actually test the CYA level and see what it really is).

Everything else you said sounded great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.