cloudy water

Jul 13, 2010
My water was cloudy 2 weeks ago, but my test were all in line. I shocked the pool 3 times in a week, then it was clear again. I then swept the pool out, backwashed my sand filter on Sunday. It is now cloudy again and the test results are still good.

Only things i can come up with:
1. it rained both times hard before the water went cloudy ????
2. Filtration: my sand has been in the filter for over 3 years, do i need to replace the sand?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Just so you know I had trouble with my pool at the end of last year and a friend told me about this site. After reading the pool chemistry i realized my CYA was way to high at the start of the year, so i drained 3/4 of my pool and got the CYA to the 90 range. I have just used bleach this year so i wouldn't raise my cya and everything has been good til now. I also used borax to get my PH up to 7.2 at the beginning of the year.

With CYA at 90, you need to keep the FC level around 7 to 12 for normal day to day use. With CYA at 90 shock level is between 24 and 35. I doubt that you have been adding enough chlorine to get up into that range, so you most likely still have algae in the water.

The best thing to do would be to replace some more water, to get CYA down to around 50 or 60. If that isn't possible, it is going to take a massive amount of chlorine to clean everything up properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.