All chemicals in check except acid

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
Pool looks good, I have the test kit I bought from TFP and everything except for my acid level is checking out good. I've been adding about 3/4 of a gallon a week for the past 3 weeks. Yesterday, I added a whole gallon around 6pm, then today I checked it and it's still in the dark purple range of 7.8 to 8.0. My buddy has a similar sized pool (both are salt water if that matters) and he only adds about 1/2 gallon a week. Any ideas on what could be going on? Thank you!

That's what I thought, but the local pool store said adding 3/4 gallons for 2 weeks then 1 gallon the next week and testing the following day should have lowered the PH by now. Just didn't want to keep adding it if there's something else going on.

We could give you a much better answer with a full set of water test results. Chances are your TA is really high, which is driving up the PH, but that is just guessing without knowing your actual numbers.

When I took over the chemicals from the pool service last winter, I was astonished at how much acid I had to add. It took a 10 lb pail of dry acid and another gallon of liquid acid to get the color to change on the test block. And then even more to get it in range. Then there was all the aeration from the spa combined with our brutally hard water in California to use up some more.

It's very similar to doing a drop test, really. You add and add and add and no change then it starts to move and seems like it takes forever, then one magic drop and it all changes at once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your TA is definitely a problem. If you have water features that aerate the water, that could be a contributor as well. Things like spa spillovers, waterfalls, and bubblers all cause the pH to rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.