Storm water

bzal1122

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2010
Huntingdon Valley PA
After the downpours today my pool is filled to the brim. What I havent realized until now is that with my bump type DE filter there is no way to pump out the excess water unless I feel like throwing away new DE media. Im looking for ideas, I was thinking just Siphon it out with a hose or buying a portable sump pump to get it out. Is a sump pump a good investment for a pool owner with this type of filter?

I use the vacuum hose to syphon excess water out of the pool when rain overfills it. It makes quick work of it. I anchor one end of it in the pool then place the entire hose in the pool and plug one end of it with my hand and string it out to where I want to drain it and lay it on the ground and remove my hand.

Bama Rambler said:
I use the vacuum hose to syphon excess water out of the pool when rain overfills it. It makes quick work of it. I anchor one end of it in the pool then place the entire hose in the pool and plug one end of it with my hand and string it out to where I want to drain it and lay it on the ground and remove my hand.

I asked the same question and Bama Ramblers advice works just fine. The water drains very quickly and its much easier than using the garden hose.

I assume you've already tried it. The 1.5 " vac hose will remove water pretty quickly- makes a pump unecessary in my mind.

The brave (stupid?) ones among us get the siphon started by suction on the downhill end of the hose. I anchor mine in the pool by attaching it to the weighted vac head on a pole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.