PB Quote - Thoughts??

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Our new home is to be built and hopefully ready for Dec. Looking to get a pool built in spring next year and started my research for quotes.

What do you think of the quote below? Anything that should be removed or added? Anything I can remove and buy myself from the US (as opposed to locally in Toronto) to save $? The quote is at $50K!!!

Thanks!

To supply and construct a Steel Walled, Vinyl Liner Swimming Pool consisting of:
• Size 18 ft wide x 36 ft length Humpback Kidney Shape
• 14 Gauge “Galvanized” Steel Walls
• Double track “Snap Lock” Coping
• Widemouth “Through The Wall Mount” Skimmer
• Main Drain consisting of a Hydrostatic Valve and an “Anti-Vortex” Safety Cover
• Separate Main Drain and Skimmer Suction Lines
• Return “Inlet” Fittings (2)
• Acrylic In-Wall Step (6 ft) with single return jet
• 30 mil Premium Liner (Pattern of your own choice)
• Hayward S244-T, 24” High Rate Sand Filter
• Hayward SP2607X10A, 1hp “Super Pump” Pool Pump
• Raypak PR266A EN 266,000 btu Natural Gas Heater Electronic Ignition
• Aqualamp Lighting System (2 x 60W w/ clear lense)
• Aqua-rite Chlorine Salt System
• Lock-In Fitted Winter Cover
• Acrylic Step Cover 6ft
• Maintenance Kit:
Deluxe Vacuum Hose (35’ length) Deluxe Vacuum Head
Deluxe Telescopic Pole (8’ - 16’) Deluxe Leaf Skimmer
Deluxe Pool Brush Deluxe Thermometer
Stainless Steel Ladder

Pool Installation
• Excavation w/ 7ft Backhoe Excavator & Fill Removal with a Bobcat (as a second machine)
• Leveling and Concreting the Steel Walls using 3000 psi Concrete
• Three Stage Hard Bottom:
1st Stage - Gravel (3/4” Clear Stone) 4 - 6” Thickness
2nd Stage - Concrete (3000 psi) 4” Thickness
3rd Stage - Vermiculite Coating 1” Thickness
• Plumbing the Pool to the Filtration Equipment
• Weeping Tile Drainage System Around Entire Pool
• Back Fill with 3/4” Clear Stone or Granular “A”
• Concrete Deck (3’ width) 4000 psi, Air-entrained Concrete 4 - 5” Thickness
Re-inforced with 6 X 6 Steel Mesh, and Expansion Joints, Placed Every 4 - 6 ft
• Deck is Supported on Double “A” Deck Frame System

Clean-Up
• General Clean-up Performed After Every Day Of Work
• Pool Area is Completely Cleaned and Cleared After Completion

Other Work
• Natural Gas Connection and any required venting for Gas Heater Not Included
• Electrical Connection for Pump, Pool Lighting, Pool Heater & Salt System Not Included
• All Required Permits (Permits are the responsibility of the Home Owner) Not Included
• Connection to Home Sewer System for Pool Discharge Line Not Included

A few comments:
1. There's no mention of pipe size; make sure it's minimum 2" PVC.
2. I would get a 2-speed pump; 3/4 HP would probably be plenty, since I don't see any water features listed.
3. Any plans for a cleaner? I would at least get a line plumbed to the pool and capped off at the pad, so you can finish it later if you want a suction or pressure-side cleaner.
4. A bigger filter would be good; bigger is always better and the cost difference is not all that much.
5. That doesn't sound like much light. LEDs are fun!
6. You may be able to get the SWG much cheaper in the states. I seem to remember someone saying they were ridiculously priced up there.
7. Get as much decking as you have space for and can afford. 3' isn't enough space for chairs, tables, firepits, etc.

Melt In The Sun said:
A few comments:
1. There's no mention of pipe size; make sure it's minimum 2" PVC.
2. I would get a 2-speed pump; 3/4 HP would probably be plenty, since I don't see any water features listed.
3. Any plans for a cleaner? I would at least get a line plumbed to the pool and capped off at the pad, so you can finish it later if you want a suction or pressure-side cleaner.
4. A bigger filter would be good; bigger is always better and the cost difference is not all that much.
5. That doesn't sound like much light. LEDs are fun!
6. You may be able to get the SWG much cheaper in the states. I seem to remember someone saying they were ridiculously priced up there.
7. Get as much decking as you have space for and can afford. 3' isn't enough space for chairs, tables, firepits, etc.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

I agree with all your points.

As for teh decking, can I just get it done seperately? This will be a new house, so I will de doing a stone pation anyways, and can have it meet the decking provided by PB.

I hope to get detailed prcining (i.e. breakdown), and that way I can see what equipment I can buy from the US. I am sure most of the stuff is MUCH cheaper there. We are a couple of hours from Buffalo and can drive over to pick stuff like covers, sloar blankets, pumps, SWG, etc.

I think it sounds great. Thats a good heater. Im a fan of raypak/rheem
to this day i still dont understand everyones beef with 1.5" plumbing.
an 18x36 is a good size pool but nothing that 1.5 cant handle...

besides, i think you wanted to save some money on the build, not add more.

Just ask the builder for some references... thats something important.
also like they said above, get the warranty on his labor. all the part manufactures list theirs on their websites. ( hayward, Raypak, ect)

I'll throw this out there to the experts/builders on the board - should Shaf77 consider two skimmers? My pool is also 18x36 and I have two skimmers, one in the shallow and one in the deep end, opposite sides, and my pool definitely needs both.

Also agree with Melt in the Sun - if you can afford it, get a line plumbed for future cleaner. Our pool had that already and we added a pressure side cleaner this year.

Since you have plenty of time, check out the winds! Every afternoon I get a breeze across my patio and pool that couldn't be more perfectly aligned with my back fence if it were designed that way. Unfortunately, my strainer is not at the downwind end. I end up with a lot of surface junk collecting in a dead spot beyond the strainer. Once the wind stops, the circulation gets it to the skimmer, but it would be soooooo much better if it all just blew right in by itself, with no time to waterlog and sink.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with heckpools I don't mind 1.5 lines. That pump filter and heater are exactly what I would sell. The only things that concern me is the 30 mil liner. I like to push 20 mil since it is easier to work with so it will be a better fit to the pool not to mention around 20% cheaper. Rectangle pools aren't as pretty as kidneys but they are easier to maintain; cheaper liners, covers, etc. The winter cover you mentioned is it a safety cover like a loop-loc or does it snap into the track above the liner? Because those vinyl snap in covers are so annoying

Just a thought on the coping - you may want to consider cantilevered coping, which will eliminate the white plastic outline that surrounds your pool. This would mean you'll have concrete instead of plastic, and it looks much nicer. I know it's more expensive, but in my opinion, very much worth it. I'm sure your finished product is going to look great, and you'll be very pleased with the size. We have an 18x37 and are amazed at how large it is - perfect!

Clockwise or counter-clockwise? + the Winds

Richard320 said:
Since you have plenty of time, check out the winds! Every afternoon I get a breeze across my patio and pool that couldn't be more perfectly aligned with my back fence if it were designed that way. Unfortunately, my strainer is not at the downwind end. I end up with a lot of surface junk collecting in a dead spot beyond the strainer. Once the wind stops, the circulation gets it to the skimmer, but it would be soooooo much better if it all just blew right in by itself, with no time to waterlog and sink.

Great idea Richard!

You have reminded me to tell the OP that there are two choices for the direction of the flow of your pool, and it may seem like a very small or unimportant decision, but it surely can matter to some pools.

Our pool, before its renovation, had two returns situated to provide a clockwise rotation of the water. Because of our choice of location for our new pool steps, a bench, and the deep end step-out, our pool has its new returns situated so as to provide a counter-clockwise flow to the pool.

Think about direction of flow and where your skimmers are, and, as Richard says, check the prevailing winds!

Lana

Heckpools said:
yes, 2 skimmers is a great idea.

whats up kevin? Hows your season going. Im ready to start the closings lol

It's going pretty good, better weather this year. I want to start getting some safety covers installed before loop-loc starts to get too busy. I'm gonna come to NJ to find you and follow you around adding Sodium Thiosulfate to all your pools :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.