Low pH and titanium heat exchangers

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I've been toying around with drastically lowering the CSI to try and remove some scale on my pebble finish. With my CH at 390 and rising (danged evaporation... :x ), It's difficult to get the CSI low enough without having the pH drop below 7. I have a heat pump that currently cannot be fully bypassed. With some help from Poolsean, I've determined that my HP has a titanium heat exchanger. After searching the extensive TFP archives, I came across this:

JasonLion said:
There are two risks to the acid procedure. There can be corrosion of metal parts when the PH is below 7.0. Heat exchange coils in heaters are by far the most sensitive to this. Some heaters have titanium coils that are safe even at low PH, but they seem to be rare as they cost extra and not all manufacturers even offer them. Other parts are generally safe for much longer than the heater, but will eventually be affected.
I'm a bit reluctant to give it a go, since this is the only mention of titanium being resistant to low pH that I was able to find. Has anyone tried this? Thanks. :?

Hmmmm, a new heater costs about $1,600.00 (plus installation and profit) and a new P-Tec finish is probably about $7,000.00. I gotta think a new heat exchanger is $700-800 by the time all is said and done. Where do you think having your pool treated by the Calsaway boys would come in? :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.