About to add borates. Question first.

shacke

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
Philadelphia
I have successfully lowered my TA from 130 to now between 70-80. I will get it squarely to 70 in the next couple of days and want to add borates. My CYA is high enough now (about 70) that I am running the SWG less so the constant pH rises are likely to be slower, esp with the TA down more.

From what I have learned about borates, they are a buffer and therefore will increase the amount of acid needed to drop pH relative to water without borate added to it. I also know that people have varying opinions about their addition but I want to try them out.

Anything other effects I should be cognizant of *ie making other chemistry more difficult to control) since getting them in is easy but removing them isn't? Trying to measure twice and cut once.

Thanks

Evan

ph 7.0 (reducing TA still)
TA 70-80
CH 220
CYA 70
FC 10

From what I've read, you will be using the same amount of acid to maintain your pH in a given band -- with borates you add larger quantities, but less frequently, to stay in your pH range.

I added borates last year (using 20 Mule Team borax and MA) and the pH of my pool now tends to sit right at 7.6 for a long time (4 or 5 weeks) between MA additions. Before adding borates I was adding acid every week or so to keep the pH between 7.4 and 7.8. But I have a vinyl pool with a SWG - not plaster with a SWG - so your pool may act differently.

Hope that helps,
Gordon

Before borates, I tried to keep my pool between 7.2 and 7.4 and it would creep up to 7.8. With borates, bringing it down to 7.2 is a waste of acid because it won't stay there. Mine settles in about 7.5 and stays put, which is higher than I was accustomed to, but since it doesn't creep up to 7.8, there is no need to get it any lower. If you like to keep a low ph, borates might not be for you.

The first time I borated my pool, I used Borax and acid. I recently replaced the liner and this time I used boric acid from Duda Diesel. I highly recommend the boric acid. It was quick and easy and I didn't have to mess with acid. The $20 difference in total cost was worth it to me.

I have been keeping a level of 30 for a while now and I am putting myself in the camp of those who don't see the benefit. My pH rises are just as fast and as large a swing as before. Every time I turn around it is at 7.8-8.0 after lowering it to 7.4

I was thinking maybe it is my turbo clean system in the pool bottom - there is always agitation/aeration on the surface. Maybe that and the SWG are too much for the borate buffer. I hesitate raising the borate to 50 in case my troubles get worse. I am going to plenty of acid still - plenty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.