liquid stabilizer?

svenpup said:
liquid CYA is not worth the extra cost. Get the granular (100% CYA), put it in an old sock and hang it in front of a return until it dissolves. You can massage the sock periodically to speed the process,

+1

I went through lots of it, before I found the info here. Liquid is multiple times more expensive - a single $36 gallon is supposed to bring CYA up 32ppm in a 10,000 pool. In my experience, that advertised target is low. I added about 6 to get it to the ~70 level I have now. Also, while it says it is instant, the testing levels do creep up over several days so it's not like you are going to get instant results.

Next year - the sock method for sure! :hammer:

Evan

I can possibly see the benefit of liquid CYA for pool professionals that will only have access to the pool on a weekly basis, namely that it does absorb faster and will be fully absorbed by the time of the next visit, by comparison dry CYA can take several days to disolve and another several days to show up on tests, this is over a week to fully register on a test after treatment. For an individual with no such time constraints I see no advantage other than a slight bit of ease of use. Simply add your dry CYA and slowly bring up your FC levels to their new targets over the course of a few days as the CYA disolves.

Ike

Ike

One advantage of the liquid is that it doesn't lower your pH as it is essentially a salt with a pH of around 8, according to the label. I opted to spring for three gallons to get my CA up quickly and reliably at start-up. Worked like a charm, getting my 20,000+ gallon pool to 40 - 50ppm by the next day (with pump running overnight). I wouldn't use it every time, but for a new pool start-up, I preferred not to risk granules laying on my fresh plaster. Besides, I was spending enough time sweeping and balancing out the general chemistry, that a few bucks for an initial short-cut seemed worth it, and I didn't want something else messing with my pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.