Using Brominating Concentrate for Sanitization.

JM78

Jul 8, 2010
Hi
After much reading (thank you so much for this great site!!) , I am still a little confused about something. I am stuck using Brominating Concentrate really designed for Spa usage in my Easy Set Intex with approx 3500 Gal. If it is bad to keep using dichlor once the adequate levels have been reached intially, is it then bad on my part to continue using Brominating concentrate as a form of sanitization given that it is 82.5% Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione and only 14.7% Bromide? I understand that chlorine reactivates the bromine but I am not sure what I should really be using for continued sanitization if I am stuck using Bromine for the remainder of this season.
We live in Mass and water temp is 90% right now as sun shine on pool most of day. It is also covered when not in use.
In a pool this size with 3LBs of this type of Bromine sanitizer added and about 3 and 1/2 dissolved 3" Bromine+Chlorine Pucks would it be possible to just start adding bleach instead as it is just going to convert it to Bromine right? Or am I more confused than I thought?

Thanks!

To convert over completely to chlorine you need to drain and refill the pool, which is what I would do.

Sticking with bromine, you can reactivate the bromine with chlorine as long as you maintain enough bromine in the pool. In most cases that means using Brominating Concentrate for a while as the level builds up, and then switching to chlorine when the level is high enough. Every now and then you need to top off the bromine/bromide level, since you lose a little to splash out and backwashing (if you backwash), but that shouldn't be all that often. I hope that makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.