returns

mtw

Jun 2, 2009
hello,
i have an agp with one return (screw in eyeball)and was wondering if anyone has modified theirs to make two returns using pvc. kinda like taking the eyeball out and using a t. i know i could do it on the outside of the pool and have it come over the rail but i'd like to do it on the inside. the reason is, i think it would help get debris off the bottom of the pool and hence make the pool cleaner with less vacumming. idea is one return would stay just about where it is now for surface circulation and then extend down with second return to almost bottom of pool.
thanks,
mike

I don't recall anyone doing it but it's certainly doable. You could come straight out with a tee, branch down and 90º out near the bottom. I'd probably put a tee and cap the wall side at the bottom to help support against the flow putting back pressure on the wall fitting.

YEP!!! WE DID.... I installed a return opposite the skimmer and another beneath my wedding cake steps to keep water flowing through there. I ordered my pool kit online and went to my local pool store and purchased the extra returns. I believe they were about $36.00 each and they came with the proper gaskets too. If you do this, just follow the instructions for the skimmer and return install that came with your pool. Cutting the hole in the pool wall was accomplished by using a drill with a "hole saw" attachment that was matched with the original return hole that had been precut my the manufactor. It was a good investment. Running the pvc is pretty simple, we used 3 in, but have a 1.5 hp pump so our water flow is pretty steady. You will need to fnd a way to support the pvc as well. I don't have any pics of our install, but we were able to use wire ties and tie the pvc off to the side supports till our dirt level was high enough to support the pvc on it's own. My pool is only above the ground by 2 ft, so my pvc is buried.

my plumbing is schedule 40 pvc, no more flex hose for me. i think i understand what momov2 is saying but if i did it that way i would want the return at the bottom which would mean draining pool to cut hole in side of pool. since he mentioned return near steps, i just put a deck up and im debating on where to put steps if i go off 1 side of deck i'll be right next to return other side obviously not near return. which is better... any suggestions? i have plenty of pressure , my thought was near return b/c it would force debris from behind steps and under steps. my steps are open like a railing on each side.
mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.