Weigelbrood from Western NY

Jul 13, 2010
Hey, all. Just found this forum and it could not have come at a better time! We just completed some major renovations to our home and are contemplating either and inground or above ground pool and associated deck/patio. While I know that an above-ground pool and wood deck is cheaper....I would love to have an inground pool. My issue is that I am a diy kind of guy. I did all the plumbing and rough hvac work in our rebuilt house and think I could handle an inground install....the wife is not so sure :)

I am hoping that I can get some advice from experienced users of both types of pools who can help me choose what would be better for our family in the long run. I have 4 kids....from 11yrs down to 4. They all love the water and swim like fish when near it!

$ is always an issue in my decisions.

Looking forward to many conversations on this topic. If it is easier, just refer me to previous postings or threads if I am asking to cover topics already discussed! Thanks!

There are several DIY pool builds here and you should investigate a few.
I will give you forewarning though. Stay away from Dave (Duraleigh) and Mats (Henry Porter) pool builds. They'll make you feel inadequate for the task. Ok not really but those are some fine builds.

Weigelbrood, first off i am from western NY (alden) glad to see your post. I also just recently found this website. I have a 30 foot AGP 18,000 gallons. my kids are 16, 12, and 8. When we decided we wanted a pool 3 years ago i went back and forth between AGP and IGP. My decision came down to cost and how long we planned on staying in our home. My AGP cost me about about $4000 and i built the 12X15 foot deck. The IGP would have cost us minimum $20000 with upgrades and a basic patio around the pool. I love my AGP and it's plenty big enough for my kids and their friends. My daughter had her 16th party recently and she had 15 teens over and the pool worked out great. We also plan on moving south in the future so if the people that buy our home doesn't want a pool it can be ripped out easily.

I've had this discussion with some friends recently. Everyone has to figure it out for themselves, but the end result is the same...someplace fun for the friends and family. There's an unnecessary stigma attached to an AG pool. I've had people ask about my pool then when they hear AG, they become disinterested. Silly. I don't care about keeping up with the Jones' in any area of my life...I drive an 02 Accord or an old Jeep both purchased used while most of my friends have new SUVs every two years and 300k houses. So, while I sit by my AG pool sipping a cold beverage every year calculating how many more miles I'm getting out of my car, they can keep figuring out what to refinance, cash in, etc to pay for their IG for the next 10 years for all I care.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an inground pool and won't hesitate to buy a home with one already installed...but I think it's important to take into account the things mentioned, especially in climates like yours and mine. We have maybe 4-5 months of good pool weather. If I went to the expense of an inground I would have to have it heated on the ends of the season to justify the expense, and I'm not saying I'd never do it, but I'd think long and hard. If I lived somewhere that I would never have to close the pool for winter, no question I'd do an inground. I just don't know if I can justify the 20-40k unless I knew 100% that where I installed it would be where I lived out my years in this part of the country.

Look at the slide show, there's some really really well done AG pools.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!