New pool - spots on the plaster. What to do?

Igor

Jun 21, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hello,

New pool owner here. Added a pool this Spring (2010). Lots of work, but kids are happy, hence don't mind the sweat. I'm worried about making a mistake and dealing with issues. Very little help from the pool builder.

This is my first post and, from what I have read, I know I'm likely to have more posts in the near future.

This one concerns the plaster.

I brushed reasonably diligently during the first 3+ weeks. Wasn't really told what to worry about or pay attention too. Balanced the water reasonably quickly (Aquacheck 7 strips and Leslie's), except for low chlorine.

Started using Polaris and thought it was doing a poor job today when I saw some smallish dirt on the floor in the shallow area. Upon closer examination, I realized that while some of it was dirt, some was something else. I spend a good time diving and inspecting the floor.

I saw a few things that concern me:
1. discolored (grey/white) spots, kind of bubbly… about 0.5" diameter, not necessarily round – smooth to touch.
2. black spots – round as well as a free shape, one look like a thin line, almost like the piece of dirt or straw somehow got embedded into plaster – smooth to touch. Size varies mostly 0.125” – 0.25”
3. one yellow round spot size 0.25” diameter
4. also on rough area – maybe 8-10” in diameter near the steps
5. clusters of white crystal - a term I saw, that might apply - "calcium nodules"

Not like the whole floor is a mess, just a few of each, but #1-2 is noticeble. #4 and #5 caused blisters and some blood on children's toes.

Now, I'm trying to reach the builder (a major pool company), but expect little help. Any comment/suggestion is greatly appreciated. I have purchased Poolstone block pers suggestion from the pool company person when I asked about 5. above. Only discovered 1-4 yesterday.

Thanks in advance!
Igor

21K gal, shortcrete/plaster, ?? pump, ?? DH filter, Using a duck as a chlorine dispenser, ?? Zodiac system, Polaris 360.

Any way you can snap a photo or two and post them here (use photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code)

A full set of test results? (you really should get your own kit. It's an investment that will protect your investment....:))

Thanks. I did order Tf-100; should get it in 2-3 days or so. I have two stores nearby and was getting very similar reading/recommendations.

Here are the photos of #2 and #3 in my orriginal post. Red lines are mine to highlight the spots.

Black ones - dots and lines:
Steps
1c_P1000732.jpg

Steps re-sized
1c_P1000737.jpg

Yellow/brownish:
1c_P1000733.jpg

Yellow/brownish - resized
1d_P1000733.jpg

I noticed some spots similar to the ones on the steps also on the deep. Used brush over what looked like dust/dirt, but it didn't move.

Is this algae? Already in a pool that is only 1.5 months old, with reasonable brushing and chemical use?

Thanks in advance,
Igor
21K gal, shortcrete/plaster, Jandy pump, Jandy DH filter, Using a duck as a chlorine dispenser, Nature sanitizer, Polaris 360.

Any chance some iron got in the pool somehow? Nobody hacksawing a piece of conduit or a plant stand or anything? I had a spot mysteriously appear one day. There was nothing sitting on it, whatever caused it rusted away I guess. Had to be much smaller than a BB. A couple vitamin C tablets mashed in a sock and weighted with a rock and it disappeared without a trace.

Re: New pool - spots on the plaster. Please help!

Update - still waiting for the TF-100.
Went to Leslies and they did the test:
FAC - 1.5
TAC - 1.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 100
CH - 250
CYA - 45
TDS - 500
Once I asked about the spots, they also did some sort of Iron test or something metal and said all looks OK.

Now, back to my problem - black spots, and streaks. some look like hairline, some like nike swush. At the pool store they suggested Vit C, like you did here. So, I tried it on Black spots and on one yellow/brownish I have - nothing. Used sock and without sock, scratched and just let it sit on top - nothing. Tried Chlorine Tablet - same thing.

I might be paranoid, but they might be a few more of the spots now. The water looks crystal clear, if you don't look for these spots, you wouldn't even notice, but once you look, you will see like a dirt/dust spot or a hair, that isn't moving.

Is this Black Algae? Metals? Does anyone has any experience and can help, please?

Thanks!
Igor

21K gal, shortcrete/plaster, Jandy pump, Jandy DH filter, Using a duck as a chlorine dispenser, Nature sanitizer, Polaris 360.

This is perplexing - if they were organic, the chlorine tablet would fade them. Black Algae can be scraped and smeared. Iron would fade instantly with the application of vit C.

I would have your builder come out to inspect - this may be a defect or something.

Your FC is way too low, is this on purpose?

This may be similar to what I have in my pool - I have black and green ones and now some brown ones. I was able to get rid of some black ones with chlorine tablet, but chlorine didn't work against green\brown ones. It seems like I'm getting more and more of these dots since I stopped shocking, although my CYA is 30 and Chlorine is 3-5, CC ~~ .5 . My pool is about 5 years old, but I only owned it for a few weeks and I didn't see them before.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-are-these-geen-brown-black-dots-t24357.html

P.S. Just shocked my pool with liquid chlorine for the first time in 2 weeks, hoping it'll clear them up. The overnight FC loss was less then 1 ppm. Since I got a lot more of them now, I can get a close-up picture and don't have to dive to get it.

Attachments

• dot1.jpg
    dot1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00713.JPG
    DSC00713.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 127
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.