hairline crack in psi gauge housing on filter...

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I overtightened a new psi gauge at the top of my sand filter and now have a hairline crack. I was able to seal it for a couple weeks with some marine silicone I had at the house, but now the leak has found its way through the silicone. What should I use to seal this tiny crack in the plastic? I have some JB weld at the house, wondering if that'll bond to the plastic? Is there another epoxy, or sealant you guys would suggest to form a permanant bond with the plastic of the crack?

What about next repair using a proper sized hose clamp around the gauge housing? I don't think you would have to tighten the hose clamp real hard, like you do on a radiator hose. Just slightly snug, I would think help hold the next repair in place.

And how about epoxy instead of silicone ?

I repaired a couple of these this year on top mount Hayward sand filters. If you really need a pressure gauge insert the pressure gauge then seal around it with plastaid or ab putty. A stronger repair is to remove the gauge And use a threaded plug instead. Put plastaid on the threads and tighten plug til snug and deep then seal over entire plug with plastaid. I rarely look at gauges and judge pressure based on flow rate back to pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.