bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
I use the Pool Calculator and am getting these recomendations:

TH 200= nothing
FC 0 = add 1 qt, 1 cup and 6 ozs 6% bleach
PH 8.4 = add 15 oz of 34.8% braume
TA 250 = nothing
CYA < 30/50 = add 10oz by volume stabilizer (Note: yesterday it said to add 2.6 oz of stabilizer, which I did about 10 am in the am yesterday).

I am new to pools and don't think i've ever got it balanced. So far the only issues I have had with it was some cloudiness and it's gone.

Lost the CYA, when the water got accidently vacuum out overnight last week (Hubby tried to fill it up before I found out. LOL)

I know, I need to get the test kit TFP recomends, just can't afford it right now. Can anyone help me understand these test trips?

THYIA.

The only thing they are probably accurately telling you is that the ph is high. That's about all they are good for. Adding the acid is a good idea...do you already have the muratic acid and can verify the % strength? There are a few options out there so you want to make sure you are calculating carefully. With TA high, you should target 7.2 for your ph.

What about the 6-way drop test kit from Walmart ($20) is that a possibility? At least it would be more accurate than the strips.

I wouldn't do anything else with the stabilizer until we know more. The strips are worthless for measuring CYA.

What chems have you been adding, and how do you chlorinate daily?

What was your target for FC to arrive at 1 qt?

If you have to use test strips, then repeat the test 3 times 5 minutes apart, and see if you get repeatable results. Even then don't trust things too much, be very careful adding CYA since the only way to remove it in most situations is to drain and replace water. (also remember CYA can take up to a week or more to show on on tests).

Ike

frustratedpoolmom said:
The only thing they are probably accurately telling you is that the ph is high. That's about all they are good for. Adding the acid is a good idea...do you already have the muratic acid and can verify the % strength? There are a few options out there so you want to make sure you are calculating carefully. With TA high, you should target 7.2 for your ph.

No, I do not have any M. acid.

What about the 6-way drop test kit from Walmart ($20) is that a possibility? At least it would be more accurate than the strips.

Yes, i can afford that for now.

I wouldn't do anything else with the stabilizer until we know more. The strips are worthless for measuring CYA.

The only thing I have added, other than bleach, daily ( about 3- 4 cups) is the stabilizer, yesterday

2 is ok, I think?, but I was gong for 6 just in case. But 2 on the strips? Or on the t=100?

Thank you for your help, I just hope I am making any sense at all.

Isaac-1 said:
If you have to use test strips, then repeat the test 3 times 5 minutes apart, and see if you get repeatable results. Even then don't trust things too much, be very careful adding CYA since the only way to remove it in most situations is to drain and replace water. (also remember CYA can take up to a week or more to show on on tests).

Ike

Thank you Isaac, I had forgotten that.

bunedockmama said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

No, I do not have any M. acid.

Yes, i can afford that for now.

The only thing I have added, other than bleach, daily ( about 3- 4 cups) is the stabilizer, yesterday

2 is ok, I think?, but I was gong for 6 just in case. But 2 on the strips? Or on the t=100?

Thank you for your help, I just hope I am making any sense at all.

2 is the same regardless of the testing method...

2 is fine if you are treating a freshly filled pool with clear water. Then at night you would target say 4 to keep you above 2 the next day. Does that make sense? How does your water look?

Do you know how much stabilizer you added day before yesterday? Was that the only time you added stabilizer? Have you used tablets or granular "shock" at all?

Once you purchase your MA, make sure you have the correct strength chosen from the drop down menu, then calculate the proper amount based on the % strength. Adjust your PH first.

The drop kit will be more accurate and it can test your CYA. There is enough reagent in there for two tests. So we can help you figure out approximately where it is now and then test for it in a week or so... to save reagent. It can take up to a week for CYA to fully dissolve and register, so don't test for it yet, but we should be able to figure out a guestimate level based on how much you added.

Let us know how it goes, post back if you have any questions. :wink:

Good morning.

I just read your questions Frustratedpoolmom.

I added 2.6 ozs of hth granule stabilizer, in a cut off pantyhose foot. I hung it under the return jet.

As far as the chems we used when we first set the pool, I think Hubby added everything the start up kit said, plus some algecide (SP).

Then the pool was mostly drained accidently over night last weekend. So basically started out with fresh water. I haven't added anything other than the P.C. chart said of bleach and the 2.6 ozs of stabilizer since the refill.

I need to add bleach right now as it is at zero, I didn't add any last night because I was getting good advice here and didn't want my readings to change till I understood everyone's answers. I sure do appreciate it.

I live about 30 miles from any stores to get what I need. Hence the name Bunedockmama. LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 lbs, 6 oz or 2.6 ounces? 2.6 ounces would only raise your CYA to 5, you want it to be at least 30.
Get your PH down today if you can.... pick up that test kit and some bleach and "ph down" if you can't find Muratic Acid and then we'll help you get this figured out! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.