Can I use less reagent to extrapolate high FC reading.

Jul 8, 2010
Western MA
I have a Taylor k-2006 test kit on order but it has not yet arrived. I picked up a DPD test kit from Leslie and a bottle of reagent #3. The kit contains #1 and #2 reagents. Using the standard instructions in the kit, my FC and CC reading is off the chart. Is it possible to use less reagent, say 2 (assuming 2 registers a color that is within range) and then extrapolate from there?

lapzanpool, welcome to TFP!
Rather than using less reagent, you can dilute your sample 1:1 (or 2:1) with non-chlorinated water (like distilled water or DI water) and then run the test as normal and multiply the result by two (or three).

That's a huge pool!! Sounds awesome.

Welcome to TFP.

While you can't do what you're proposing, you can cheat the test some but the accuracy will suffer.

Depending on how high you think the FC is, you can add chlorine free water to the pool water sample and then multiply the result by the number of parts.

If you think it's 10 ppm or less mix equal parts of pool water and chlorine free water and run the test then multiply the result by 2.
If you think it's 15 or less add two parts chlorine free water to one part pool water then multiply the result by 3.
Once you pass 4 parts it gets too inaccurate to be useful.

That for the quick replies and the welcome. I will give your suggestions a try. Can't wait for my test kit to get here. I love my pool, once it is clean enough to swim in. This is the latest I've ever opened it and I won't make that mistake again. What makes this year worse than others is that it was not covered, so there is a ton of organic matter to deal with. I'm sure I'll come to love it again, once my kids are in it having a blast.

I'll post a pick when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.