Jul 12, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hi! I need some help.... :hammer:

Pool was installed on Sat - filled by Sunday midday.

On Sunday I used the stuff to get metal out of the pool "Liquid Magnet" (it's a problem on this block, we all seem to have metal stains in our baths & toilets & some people's pools)
Then I used PH Up and Alka PHix (I know, but I didn't know about BBB until last night).
Sunday night, I dropped in a 1lb packet of shock.
This morning, after the pool installers came to tighten some fittings, I put in the algaecide.
There is a 3" chlorine tab in a floater since this morning too.

I am trying to be running for my daughter's 3rd birthday party on Sunday......

According to the schedule I was given by the pool store, I'm supposed to condition and stabilize it tomorrow.

I just tested the water with a BS test tube kit (while I wait for my TF100) and these are the numbers I got:

78 degrees

FC 0
TC 2
PH 7.5
TA 80

I don't have the ability to test for anything else with this stupid kit, and the only other thing I have is the test strips with 5 or 6 tests on them. I didn't use them because I don't trust their reliability.

Can anyone guide me on these numbers alone as to if I am headed in the right direction or not? How come I don't have any FC? Do I need to load the pool with C, or do I have to give it time. I'm just a little confused.

Thanks for any insight. If these numbers aren't enough, I understand.
-Jenn

I'm not the expert but I'll jump in for the moment. The conditioner will protect the chlorine from the sun, until it is in the FC will go to 0 in a matter of hours. Meanwhile, the algaecide keeps it from turning green.

I don't know much about metals and how that interacts so let's wait for someone else to come along.

You might want to read the Pool School section on Beginners Guide to Seasonal and Temporary Pools, as it does talk about newly filled pools. That should help you to understand the basics of what you will need to understand, but do wait until someone can address your specifics before you do anything now.

The metal sequestrant will use up some FC as will the sun because of low stabilizer.

How much stabilizer/conditioner were you supposed to add? 2½ lbs is what I get from Pool Calc to get you to 40ppm.
What type stabilizer do you have?

You need to add about 1½ quarts of bleach now, then wait an hour and test again. You should be at 3ppm. You'll probably need to add that much or a little more each evening until Wednesday then start adding enough to get to the recommended level for your CYA target.

I have the Leslie brand "Conditioner" aka Chlorine Stabilizer the link is http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/H...ner-4-lbs/D/30100/P/1:100:1000:100030/I/12302

I was told to use 2 1/2lbs.

Just for grins, I dipped a strip to see the approx hardness it shows at 100. CYA is zero of course.

I see in my paperwork that I can "fast track" the pool by condition/stabilizing tonight. Can I also bleach tonight? I know I'm not supposed to do it at the same time, but can I space it and get both chems in before bed?

Oh and my pool is now 81 degrees :party:

I always moaned about the all-day full sun of my yard, but it's good for something!

Yes, you can do both tonight. Put the CYA in the skimmer slowly-NOT in front of a return or in the pool if it's granulated! Put the bleach in front of the return slowly.
Don't backwash for a few days.

Welcome to TFP....you can put cya (aka conditioner) in your skimmer Slowly, but then you can not backwash for a week. I'd prefer to see you put the 2.5lbs in a old tube sock and hang it in front of your return. To aid it disolving faster, squeeze the sock a few times every few hrs.

Adding CYA in a skimmer can be done, but requires a little experience to avoid clogging up your pump and once through your pump, it has to stay inside the filter for 3-5 days, before backwashing.

Add some regular unscented bleach to keep your FC around 3ppm until your TF arrives.

That is correct. The issue with letting it go straight to the filter is that it gets hung up in the filter and if you backwash it gets washed out with the dirty water. If you hang it in a sock it gets dispersed throughout the water so when you backwash you only lose a little of the CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.