question about T/A.

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
Just realized that that T/A could mean something else! This question is about my water! Pool is clear. Should I do something about the TA? It's been high since we opened the pool. I have been using softened well water to add about four inches per week. Finally found the leak and fixed it (blown seam :grrrr: ). Now I'm wondering if I should get the TA under control or is it really no big deal?

here are my numbers.

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH 7.6
TA 240
CYA 30

If you have high CH levels (which you should test from time to time even though you have a vinyl pool), high TA makes calcium scaling more likely. Otherwise, the TA will cause pH to raise quickly. If it's not fast enough to be annoying, I wouldn't worry about it since it will gradually come down. If it is annoyingly fast, you could lower TA using the procedure in pool school.

Can someone please check my work!

According to the calculator I should add 107 oz of muriatic acid. This will bring my pH down to 7.0 and my TA down to 100. Then I aerate the pool to bring it back up to 7.6.

I've never messed with muriatic acid, so when and how should I add the acid.
Then, when do I aerate the pool. Also, does six kids and one roudy husband splashing around count as aerating? If so, how soon after acid addition can they go in? How soon after all this do I retest.

I LOVE TFP!! It's the best thing since straightjackets!

Thanks!

I get 103 oz but that's because your pool is really 13,000 gallons. Also that won't get your TA to anywhere near 100 from 240. It'll only bring your TA down to about 210.

You should pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running.
Yes, six kids and a rowdy hubby counts for lots of [s:2m5wtp4j]aggrevation[/s:2m5wtp4j] uh.. aeration. :)
They can swim about 30 minutes after adding the acid.

And yes, T/A can stand for something else! :mrgreen:

OK, the 107 oz of acid sounds about right (I would add a little less just to be on the safe side), but according to the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of the pool calculator, that would lower your TA by about 30, not down to 100. You'll have to add acid, then aerate, then add acid, then aerate.......several times if you want to get your TA down to 100.

Add the acid very slowly (like a stream the size of a pencil) in front of your return with the pump running. Give it a half hour or so to mix. Splashing definitely counts as aerating, but it will be easier if you can rig something up to aerate the pool automatically.

Ahg, Bama beat me for once...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Either you have a problem with your test kit/procedures, or the acid isn't 20 baume muriatic acid. Your pH may have recovered, but your TA should have lowered some. I wouldn't add more than 32 oz acid at a time..... Wait 30 minutes and test. As your TA comes into range, it will take less acid to move the pH, and you don't want to overdo it. My pool is twice your size and it took 6 gallons to bring mine down from 230 to 100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.