Another new guy

bmark3

Jul 12, 2010
Albany, NY
Stumbled here following a google search a few days ago, have been reading the site over the weekend. I've read through the pool school once and plan to print it out sometime this week to have in a binder.

We bought our house a month ago with a 22,100-gallon unground liner pool. Its my first pool. We are currently using 3" Clearview tablets left from the previous owner in an inline Hayward chlorinator. I'd been taking samples to the local pool store every few weeks to make sure things were ok before finding this site. I'd like to buy a better test kit as recommended here, I'm using the dreaded strips currently.

Anyways, here is my latest test result (from the store).

FC - 3.8ppm
TC - 3.8ppm
pH - 7.7
TA - 106ppm (says "with stabilizer correction on the printout)
CH - 300ppm
CYA - 80ppm

The printout from the store recommended adding 10lbs. of Clearview Alkalinity Increaser to raise the TA, but from reading here I understand that is baking soda. I plan on stopping to pick some Arm&Hammer up one night this week after work. Is that correct?

I'd like to eventually just add bleach, instead of the tablets.

Welcome to TFP.

You're right about needing a good test kit. I'd get a TF-100 coming sooner rather than later.

Now about your question. Yes, alkalinity increaser is just baking soda. BUT, with a TA of 106 you don't need to add any. Got that, right? don't add any.

I wouldn't wait till eventually to start using bleach. I'd stop by the store today and pick some up and start using it right away. Your CYA in on the high side anyway and you really don't want it getting any higher. BTW, I'd be suspicious of the pool store CYA test. They tend to be really bad with that one!

Alright thanks for the info. I'm going to order a TF-100 today and will NOT add any baking soda.

Regarding the bleach, I'll give the pool calculator a try with my pool store test numbers. That should tell me how much bleach I should be adding? I don't know how to gauge how much to add daily with only having the test strips.

Pool Calc will be your new best friend. :)

Use your strips until you get the test kit in. Unless the pool store is super convenient. Once you get the kit you'll be amazed how easy it is to keep your pool Trouble Free.

Be sure to keep your FC according to the recommended level for your CYA.

How high do your strips read?

So today my TF-100 kit should be arriving and I'm looking forward to testing the pool tonight or tomorrow. I've still got the chlorinator running with pucks and would like to get those out asap. I'm probably going to stop by Walmart and pick up a few jugs of bleach on my way home from work. Convincing my wife this is the way to go will be the trick.

Any tips for my first round of testing?

Any tips for my first round of testing?
Take your time and do them carefully. It'll take a while the first time around. I like to get a sample of pool water and bring it inside and perform all my tests sitting at a table.

Pay attention to wiping the dropper tip when you do the TA test with a new kit......(it's in the directions)

Importantly, post up any questions you have........lot's of help available for the asking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure your pump has been running for at least 30 minutes before collecting a sample to test. Begin testing as soon as you collect the sample. Test your CYA outside in full sun. Keep your back to the sun when reading the vial. Once mixed the CYA test sample can be poured back into the mixing bottle and re read several times in order to get an average reading or to let another set of eyes give their opinion.

If your FC is really high 1 scoop of powder may not turn the test sample pink. If you know you have added a lot of chlorine lately and the sample does not turn pink after the powder is added you can add a second scoop of powder. If it still doesn't turn pink the FC is 0.

Hold a white card a few inches behind the pH tester to make it easier to match the colors. It is best if you can do this in full sun with the sun at your back.
Begin a testing journal. Record your initial test levels, the time, date, and any adjustments you made to the water. You can also add comments such as clear water, cloudy water, air temp, ect...

I found that I preferred to use the right hand to swirl while I added drops with the left. And I count out loud so no one tries to interrupt me, (Honey, where is the .... 16,17,18,19,20..... oh, you must be busy..... 21, 22)

Thanks. I plan on posting my results when I finish testing. I want to have some bleach on hand to add as needed after I finish my testing. I've also downloaded a spreadsheet someone had posted to keep a daily/weekly pool log. I think I'm going to put it on a clipboard in my pool shed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.