Clean or drain the swamp?

Fast forward one year later...time, cost, other obligations stalled last year's run at opening the pool.

This weekend I drained the swamp down to about 11" (various comments received that a total drain would ruin the liner?). I tried to get as much crud as I could out of it but there's still a bit at the bottom I'm hoping to vacuum out.

Refill is now in progress - much slower than drain!

I mis-measured the pool depth from 36" - it apparently is 48" (good).

I still eventually want to use the Intex SWG to keep it up after I get it cleaned and chemistry stabilized.

The GFI outlet by the pump is (gasp) actually 240v according to my multimeter! Again this year I'm trying to get the electrician recorded on the panel put back to 110v but as a no-$$$ run (for a different homeowner at that) he's being an &^%$! about coming out to correct this. So for now I have an extension cord going out to the pump. I think things will have to get ugly before I can get satisfaction on this issue.

Getting ready to fill filter with new sand and replumb everything...will let everyone know how it goes...

Thanks for all your helpfulness during this!

Richard320 said:
So what about the rest of the update? Is the pool clear and sparkly?

Well, I'm finally happy to report that after about a year since starting I, as of a couple of days ago, have achieved sparklyitis. This morning the pool was the clearest yet, showing every floor wrinkle and bleach spot in perfect clarity :)

Seriously though the pool looks absolutely wonderful. Family played in it today and had a blast. The folks on this forum have been the biggest key to success. Along the way there were many missteps and setbacks but I always felt that somehow the swamp would be defeated. I'll summarize below:

• Green swamp - kept under a poor excuse of a cover (black plastic). It doesn't even look worth saving.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Check out pump and filter. Not an expert on either so hard to tell if they even work right.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Try to test pump and it smokes and burns. Upon further inspection pool GFI is aparently 240v. Takes about a month or two to get electrician who replaced panel before we moved in) to fix. Even after that he left our water heater undone on one hot leg so we'd have to call him back for $$ job. I called the plumber who was a much better electrician and showed me where the black wire was tucked away. "Left out for money" was what he called it.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • I end up PVC gluing standpipe and laterals together permanently in filter tank since ring to which laterals attach seperated al the way along the "weld" of the plastic. Sand is replaced and eventually hooked up to pump.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Water leaking out of waste during filter. At this point I learn about spider gaskets. COme to find out mine is hard glued to the underside of diverter. After much searching I find a kit of parts that include that part as well as many gaskets, spring, washers, etc. All for the price of what the pool store guy wanted for just the diverter.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Takes awhile to get filter repaired but eventually all is go.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Much running of pump 24x7[/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • So so results clearing up water. Water is very bright blue but not clear, shocking to death not much help. Bought and used clarifier, don't go there![/*:m:2ujlijfy]
  • Someone recommended the DE add technique. Utter magic! I can see the floor in about a day and perfect clarity in a couple more days.[/*:m:2ujlijfy]

There's a lot of stuff I left out but those are the highlights. At one point I was ready to tear out everything and make an outdoor room out of the area. I'm glad I stuck with it and I'm glad the folks on this forum stuck it out with me to save the pool. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.