Ladder Problem

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
I had previously posted on advice for a new ladder. So I decided to go with a composite ladder sold here:
http://www.innovativepoolproducts.com/index.php?cPath=45&gclid=CKWbsaDJnaICFZ5O5wodLyIlxA

They have a diagram of the measurements, which is 17 inches from the center of the hole on the cement deck where the ladder goes in to the pool wall. I measured my setup and I come out with 20 inches, instead of 17 inches needed for this ladder. I also went to a few other sites that sell ladders, including stainless steel ones, and it seems they all measure 17 inches from hole to pool wall.

Am I out of luck? Is 17 inches really the standard? The ladder I have now is rusting pretty badly. Other than looks, is it bad to have a rusty ladder in the pool water? Will it cause problems? I really want to get a new ladder but can't figure out what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the exact same issue as you did last year. I don't remember what my dimensions were, but I may have even posted here about it if you search.
I ended up getting a standard ladder and the way it was put together it kinda pivots and it fit anyway. not perfect, but it works.

Thanks, Dan. I'll do a search for your post. Do you remember where you got your ladder from?

I did a search and found your post. It seems your problem was that the measurement between the 2 holes on the deck were narrower than the standard 20". My problem is that the area between the center of the holes to the wall of the pool is 20" and the standard seems to be 17" :(

Oops! Misremembered my problem. Sorry about that.
I got my ladder from a local pool builder in Atlanta. Went in and told them my issue and they got the whole crew together to mull it over and after I made sure I could return it if it didn't work I got mine.
Maybe you could find someone in your area that could direct you.
Mine didn't fit perfect and actually is too far into the pool and it bends a bit before the rubber feet on the bottom touch the wall.
If I can remember I'll measure it tomorrow to see if it would fit 20" from the mount to the inside of pool.

Thanks, Dan, I would appreciate that. I did go to my local Leslie's Pool and they said they could order me one and if it didn't fit, I could return it. However, since I have a salt water chlorine generator, I really want to get either a composite ladder or a steel encapsulated ladder (less chance of rusting). One guy told me that most likely these ladders will fit but just that the steps would be closer to the pool wall. I have to think that my current ladder is standard sized. When the rails go over the coping, they are extremely close to the coping, whereas I would assume a normal pool would have the rails a couple of inches from the coping. So, I think I may order one of these ladders and if it doesn't fit, I will ask my pool builder to make new holes in the cement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.