Muratic acid and TA

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
I have been adding muratic acid to a pH of 7.0 the aerating back to pH of 7.6.

The TA does not seem to be coming down. It is fluctuating between 250-300.

pH 7.6
TA 250
CH 50
CYA 50
FC 6 (high but keeps the algae at bey)
27k IGV, AquaLogic SWG, Sand filter, Polaris 280
Filtering 24/7

I am using a Wally World/AquaChem 5 way kit. So far, I have gone through 2 gal of acid and am wanting to know if I am on the right track.

Thanks
Steve

steve_h said:
I have been adding muratic acid to a pH of 7.0 the aerating back to pH of 7.6.

The TA does not seem to be coming down. It is fluctuating between 250-300.

pH 7.6
TA 250
CH 50
CYA 50
FC 6 (high but keeps the algae at bey)
27k IGV, AquaLogic SWG, Sand filter, Polaris 280
Filtering 24/7

I am using a Wally World/AquaChem 5 way kit. So far, I have gone through 2 gal of acid and am wanting to know if I am on the right track.

Thanks
Steve

With initial parameters of pH 7.6, TA 300, it's going to take 256 oz (2 gallons) of muriatic to drop the pH to 7.0, and the TA to 260. So as you can see, it takes a lot of acid at that high TA. As the TA comes down (and it will), it will take less and less acid to drop the pH by the same amount.

Keep doing what your are doing. I'm not sure why you are getting variation in the TA test. Outdated reagents?

Steve,

Make sure you note the pH when you check the TA. The TA changes with pH, so you can only make comparisons when the TA measurements are made at the same pH.

The aeration method works well. My trucked in fill water was 280ppm TA, and my well water is almost 500ppm. I have my pool around 120ppm now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.