How to tell when to shock by smell.

Jul 6, 2010
laconia, NH
ok I keep seeing people say when your pool gets that chlorine-y :-D smell it is time to shock.

It will be a few weeks maybe longer before I can get either a CC tester or a FC tester, so that leads me to my question.

How much of a smell are we talking about. I can smell chlorine when I'm in the pool but I think thats normal.
If I'm 10-15 feet away on my deck I can't smell it even with the wind blowing off the pool and towards me.
So If my CCs where 0.5 or higher would it be a much more noticeable smell?

:hammer:

I can't smell chlorine standing in the pool even with my nose right near the water. Each person is different so it's hard to say shock by smell. Without a good kit you can't tell what your FC really is so you're sort of guessing. That's certainly better than not shockingl, but a good test kit is what you need.

poolnew-b said:
Im leaning towards the TF-100 is that a good test kit or is there better at a reasonable price?

Short answers... yes, it is a very good test kit and no, there is not any better at a reasonable price.

There are cheaper kits with less of the tests that you need, and more expensive kits with all the tests you need but less material to do the tests. This kit is the best value that gives you the tests you need and a lot of the reagents to do them. Fast delivery, great service, and almost everyone here uses this kit so almost anyone here can help you with questions.

Bama Rambler said:
I wouldn't even consider anything but the TF-100! Unless of course it was the TF-100XL. :-D

My B-day is thurs guess I will tell the wife I want 1 of the 2.

Kind of a crazy thing to ask for my Bday, but I love testing the water and having control of my pool.

I was just in the pool and I have very a great sense of smell, I could just barely smell the chlorine but I think its cause its killing the bacteria on my sweaty body. IDK lol

I do remember last year we had a smaller pool and I was useing pucks for the chlorine and I could smell chlorine 2 houses down the road. Very strong odor. Glad It was only up for a week or so before /I got my bigger intex. Im sure it was becoming a bacteria hotel. I had no test kit or clue what I was doing last year. but this year things are going much smoother with the help of TFP.

I think next year I will switch to BBB.

Every once in a while I can detect a faint whiff if we've just had a heavy rain and the sun pops up full and my nose is right on the water piddling around doing stuff. Normal pool operation--------never.

The TF kit is awesome...when I found this site I didn't know squat... with coutless hours of reading posts and asking questions.. my pool is crystal clear and down to $2.63 in bleach last week.... granted I keep my cover on alot.... couple of my tips..when you order the kit get extra supplies for the chlorine test..I had quite a bit algae in my pool and went through alot of bleach..and you do alot of tests for clorine.. .and saves on shipping charges.. and shocking a pool is not just a one time shot and done.. its pretty amazing and can take some time and work.... but in the end its all worth it.. the people on here are very helpful.. hope that helps. .great luck with your pool.. scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
scott6824 said:
The TF kit is awesome...when I found this site I didn't know squat... with coutless hours of reading posts and asking questions.. my pool is crystal clear and down to $2.63 in bleach last week.... granted I keep my cover on alot.... couple of my tips..when you order the kit get extra supplies for the chlorine test..I had quite a bit algae in my pool and went through alot of bleach..and you do alot of tests for clorine.. .and saves on shipping charges.. and shocking a pool is not just a one time shot and done.. its pretty amazing and can take some time and work.... but in the end its all worth it.. the people on here are very helpful.. hope that helps. .great luck with your pool.. scott

Ya this site is great.
Im still learning and reading alot on here.
almost definite i will switch too the BBB method next year .
Also trying to get the wife to get me the TF-100XL
We will be getting a cover soon but my kids spend a lot of time in the pool so it will only be on during rain storms and cooler days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.