solar covers

Jul 5, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
Last season my solar cover started to tear. So I threw it out. This year I had forgotten that I tossed it.
I started up the pool got the chemical levels up to par and opened up the valves to the heater. At this point, I realized that I had no solar cover. I found that I had to increase the chlorine feeder from a 1 3/4 setting to over 7 to maintain chemical par. Plus I had to keep adding 3" tabs to the feeder. Once I woke up to this enigma, I ordered a solar cover. I am now back on an even keel. I figure the solar cover saves me its cost every year (in chemicals). My neighbor has a reel and I note that the cover is usually rolled up and stays there.

At any rate, it is a pain to remove and replace. Plus it takes up a lot of deck space. (above ground pool with a 40' hexagon shaped deck surrounding). My wife has poo pooed the idea of a reel.

My question is .... has anyone tried the solar pills. My UPS driver told me he uses them and loves them. It just doesn't sound Kosher to me.

I guess I should say this vast increase in chemical usage is what brought me to this site. And I am contemplating the BBB system. I actually located and purchased some Borax. But for now, I have an abundance of Chlorine tabs.

Have a great day ! ! ! !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.