Hand rail or no hand rail

Jun 14, 2010
Hello,

we are currently building an in ground 18 x 36 ft roman pool with steel walls and vinyl liner. Our question is do we need a hand rail on the 11 ft roman stairs. I never see any in any pictures, but our pool kit supplier says we should have them.

Opinions please.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSC01496.JPG
    DSC01496.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 196
though they may detract visually overall from the long view, handrails are also inviting - there is a feeling of safety and women want to feel graceful descending. for kids it is an active zone - the rail is part of games, a built in mechanism to practice floating, and a visual cue of safe depth.

I'm always different. I have no rails or ladders on my pool (swim-out in deep end), and I like it that way. No old ladies around here, though. Kids have plenty to do in a pool; they won't complain--and it's one less thing for them to bang their heads on.

Removable

Hi

I would think that most handrails are removable--hopefully yours can be too, giving you the option of having it in place or not.

You don't say where you are located. Do you live in a part of the country where you would close your pool for the winter? Will you be putting a cover on your pool? Most handrails can come out so that the cover can go on. (There are probably exceptions to this.)

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.