Pump question

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
We just got this free filter and pump so we are swapping out our 100# filter for a 200# one. I wasn't expecting a pump, too, but we got one. Our current pump is one speed 1 HP, the one we just got is two speed 2.5 HP. Which one should we use?

The smaller one. It's already bigger than what you need. Unless the 2.5HP's lower speed and energy use is equal or lower than the 1HP.

Hey John... I just found out that the 1 HP has an rpm of 3450. but the 2 speed 2.5 HP has an rpm of 1725 on low and 3450 on high. Would you still say to go with the 1 HP? My husband is thinking the 2 speed would be better.

MeSue said:
Hey John... I just found out that the 1 HP has an rpm of 3450. but the 2 speed 2.5 HP has an rpm of 1725 on low and 3450 on high. Would you still say to go with the 1 HP? My husband is thinking the 2 speed would be better.

Look at current draw for both.

The draw for the 2 speed was less on low speed and more on high speed than the one we were using. We ended up switching over to the 2 speed. It is also much quieter, and appears to move just as much water as my old one did.

I just got my first power bill since switching from the 1-speed pump motor to the 2-speed running on low. I also switched about half-way into the billing cycle from running it 24/7 (Baquacil) to running 12 hours a day (after switching to chlorine). My power bill was lowered by more than $50. Wow!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.