Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump question

We just got this free filter and pump so we are swapping out our 100# filter for a 200# one. I wasn't expecting a pump, too, but we got one. Our current pump is one speed 1 HP, the one we just got is two speed 2.5 HP. Which one should we use?
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2
    The smaller one. It's already bigger than what you need. Unless the 2.5HP's lower speed and energy use is equal or lower than the 1HP.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks!
    Sue

Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Hey John... I just found out that the 1 HP has an rpm of 3450. but the 2 speed 2.5 HP has an rpm of 1725 on low and 3450 on high. Would you still say to go with the 1 HP? My husband is thinking the 2 speed would be better.
    Sue

5. Back To Top    #5
    heh... just saw your edit as I was posting the RPMs. So now it's looking like the 2 speed is the better choice.
    Sue

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MeSue
    Hey John... I just found out that the 1 HP has an rpm of 3450. but the 2 speed 2.5 HP has an rpm of 1725 on low and 3450 on high. Would you still say to go with the 1 HP? My husband is thinking the 2 speed would be better.
    Look at current draw for both.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7
    The draw for the 2 speed was less on low speed and more on high speed than the one we were using. We ended up switching over to the 2 speed. It is also much quieter, and appears to move just as much water as my old one did.
    Sue

8. Back To Top    #8
    A two speed pump on low has 1/4 the HP of high speed. So a 2.5 HP two speed is 0.626 HP on low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    I just got my first power bill since switching from the 1-speed pump motor to the 2-speed running on low. I also switched about half-way into the billing cycle from running it 24/7 (Baquacil) to running 12 hours a day (after switching to chlorine). My power bill was lowered by more than $50. Wow!
    Sue