Talk about stupid II

DONNIE

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
OKLAHOMA
July 4th weekend I (don't ask how) dumped a skillet of mushrooms and garlic sauted in butter into a sparkling clean pool. Ouch right? Well...grabbed the net and got all the big stuff out pretty quickly, vac'd what went to the bottom and it looked pretty good....until dark and the lights came on. There was an oil slick bigger than the Gulf. Panic set in (company coming next day) so I grabbed a 1.5 gallon bleach and dumped it in along with about 12 oz muriatic acid (seemed like the right thing to do after a 1.5L bottle of Merlot). By morning, with the help of an overnight rain the pool was again sparkling! But.....my chemistry has always been perfect and now it's really strange. The bleach shot the FC to 22ppm and my Ph which is always 7.4ish down to 7.0 . The FC is fine now at 3ppm with CC at zero but I can't seem to get my Ph up with Borax. It stays at 7.0 . Did the 22ppm FC do something that I cant correct? It's been 6 days and the only issue is the Ph.

88F FC=3 CC=0 TA=70 CH=180 CYA= 55 Salt=3000 Ph=7.0

Donnie

No biggie. Have you a way to aerate your pool? A waterfall or something that creates lots of bubbles? If you aerate, that should take care of the problem. Next time, hold the Merlot when adding chems. :mrgreen:

Are you targeting 7.4 when you calculate the borax? How much is it telling you to add? Did you enter the TA result in the TA section? You may just not be adding enough. With a TA of 70, I don't know that aeration would be enough to raise it.

I suggest simply using Borax again. it WILL come up once you get enough in there. aerating will drop the TA lower and it seems to be happy where it is. Again, the Borax WILL move the pH once the dose is large enough.

Now, off the subject....you have a very nice grasp of BBB....very nice work on manageing your pool. 7.0pH is also fine to swim in but you are smart to return it to 7.4 or so.

Lastly, I am heartbroken about the waste of the mushrooms and garlic and doubly heartbroken we all weren't there to help consume the merlot. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm sure it will be fine. I've just never seen 7.0 before. It's always been a challenge to keep it down to 7.4 - 7.5 as it seems to prefer 7.6 or so. I don't worry about it much in that range. I needed assurance that raising the FC to 22ppm didn't do something catastrophic. Thanks again. I just finished the yard and now it's pool time! Have a great day. I'll check back later.

Donnie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.