Is having extra FC in pool OK?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
It seems that the weak exchange areas of our pool are subject to a little bit of algae even if I don't go below the target FC level. Is it ok to have a little extra FC, say 3-4ppm, in the pool just to be safe, along with brushing the affected areas. I'm kind of assuming the answer is yes, seeing that it is safe to swim in the shock level of FC for a given CYA. Thanks.

On the surface the answer to your question would be yes. I have a SWG and the recommendation is 3 -5 ppm and I tend to keep it at 4 - 6 ppm just for piece of mind. What kind of test kit are you using and can you give us a set of water test results. I suspect that your issue is not totally related to circulation.

I use the TF-100 test kit and my CYA is 70, which makes the FC target 8 or so. The ph and TA are 7.5 and 110 respectively. My FC tests at 12, which makes me think it is a circulation issue, and the algae seems to form exactly in those areas. I usually run the pump from midnight to noon, and we have a solar cover. Lately I am running the pump a little more because I'm stuck with about 40 pounds of trichlor. pucks and am trying to use them up and get more chlorine into the water. I will use more liquid chlorine when I use them up. I brushed the affected areas yesterday morning and today the area is still algae free.

Those trichlor pucks will continue to raise your CYA, which is already higher than it should be if you do not have a SWG. The pucks will keep forever as long as they are stored in an airtight container and stay dry. Unless you have a reverse osmosis service available in your area ( and few do) you will need to drain some of your water to get rid of excess CYA. How long has it been since you tested your CYA level?

I tested my CYA fairly recently, and we've been having so much rain, 8" in June and 1.5" last night, that every other time I vaccuum I have to lower the water level. So I 'm assuming my CYA is not growing too much with the pucks, but I will test again soon. It's cheaper for me to do small drain and fills with the hose if necessary, to get rid of these pucks, than to go out and buy the equivalent amount in liqiud chlorine. We're on a tight budget at the moment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no CC's, and my returns are straight. I might look into getting eyeballs. That could help a little. I think for the present time just keeping an eye on it and more frequent brushing is the answer. The little bit of algae doesn't seem to be in too much of a hurry to come back. And yes, running the pump a little more during the day is a good suggestion. I'm also going to do a new CYA test soon. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.