How to safeguard for Hurricane?

edbson

Jun 25, 2007
I live on the TX Gulf Coast, and we are watching Hurricane Dean rather closely. Especially since Rita blasted us 2 years ago. My question is, what can I do to save my pool, filter, and pump during a hurricane? In case of an evactuation, I was considering pulling the hoses and letting the pool drain.....but I would rather not do that. Will it hurt the filter to drain and move it?

Sand filters are very heavy with the sand in them and should not be moved without removing the sand. Other kinds of filters can be moved after simple draining, though you might as well backwash a DE filter first. A filter won't usually be damaged by a flood, though wind damage could easily be an issue.

You don't want the pump to get flooded. It might dry out alright, but would most likely be destroyed.

If you fully drain an above ground pool you will most likely have significant wind damage. The water helps hold the pool together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.