Water leak?

Jul 10, 2010
I had my inground pool closed for 2 years and this summer we had a new liner installed. Our pump was new so we are using it. But I am loosing 2 to 3 inches of water every day. I have no idea where the water is going. My husband got in it yesterday and went completely over the pool with red food color to see if it would suck up somewhere but not one time. The grass around the pool is dry. We are at our witt's end. Has anybody got any suggestions? At this rate, I will owe the water company more than my house payment. I have to find where the water is going. P.S. We also checked the light to see if it was leaking and no it wasn't. Please HELP !!!

Welcome to TFP!!

Check the skimmers for cracks! We've just had 3 - 4 pools loosing water that pressure tested fine, only to find cracks either in the bottom of the skimmer or the mouth of the skimmer (the deck heaving over the winter causes this)

Also, I know you said DH dye tested the light, did he pull out the light and test the conduit? The conduit will sometimes freeze and break, or get 'heaved' over the winter.

We put the wintertime plug in the skimmer and the water didn't go down, so I am guessing it is in a pipe soomewhere. Can someone give me a shout out about how to go about checking the pipes without having to pull up my back yard and breaking up the concrete?

If you plugged the skimmer line and the water loss stopped, the skimmer line has failed :evil:

I don't suppose your PB was 'clued in' enough to have provided you with a reserve line plumbed into the other port in the skimmer.

The odd thing is that you shouldn't loose water with the system running when the suction line is bad :scratch: - sure, you'd have air in the pump housing, but not loose water.

You can pressure test the lines to see if they are bad, but I think the issue is elsewhere :evil:

Just thinking here that if your skimmer line is loose in the cuff where it goes into the skimmer, the plug could have sealed off both the line and the boss on the skimmer. If that's the case, it may not suck in air when the pump is running but it would leak water out. Start by shutting off the pump and taking some red food coloring and squirt a little in the skimmer right where the piping connects to it and see if it gets drawn out.

Bama Rambler, I have tried that red food coloring and squeezed all around the skimmer opening and it doesn't get drawn out. Thanks! Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Come on guys, PLEASE HELP ME

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.