Stain Problem

Jkraus

Aug 17, 2007
The white walls on my pool look they are "running" Or maybe the word Splotchy works better. Any one else ever have this type of problem?

I have an IG pool with a DE filter with 25,000 gallons of water. Everything test fine accept the TA is a little low. Any advice??

Jason

I DO!!!!!!!!!!
I thought it was from the sh*tty plaster job they did on my pool but now I think it is scale. The plasterers still did a terrible job around the corners, blobs of plaster not smooth and so on. My neighbor had a different PB but same plaster contractor and he complains ablout the plaster. I brushed and maintaned my water balance but my PH sky rocketed every day, I had to put acid every other day, I know I did not let it go more than three days so I am still puzzled how the scale got there.

I think it was because my pump was not installed till 4 days lafter plaster. I brushed three times a day but no where for the dust to go. ( I guess?). I suspect that they did not acid wash due to the way the plaster looked, I wasn't there to witness. I have small yellowish brown stains and I am picking up a stain kit tonight. In the meantime, I lowered my PH to 7.2 and have been brushing last three days and it looks a little better.

This is our 2nd summer with the pool. We brushed it regularly last summer. But did not know we needed to brush the walls this year.

I added some scale preventer last week. Did not seem to do anything. No White flakes to be seen.

Jason

You should post a full set of test numbers and if possible some photos.

Fresh plaster should be brushed constantly but fully cured plaster only need to be brushed now and then (between once a week and once a month).

I am not sure what "Splotchy" is. Do you mean that different areas have become different shades? Or has the surface become unusually rough if places?

Most peole will agree that you must brush the entire pool once a week as maintenance. This helps to lodge anything that gets stuck to the wall so that it can be filtered. With a new plaster pool you might want to brush more frequent.

If you post a full set of numbers, we can help, also what you have been using in the water. A good way to check the stains is to crush up some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and rub on the stains. If they lighten up it is a mineral stain. You can also use ph down in a sock. To check to see if the stains are organic, you can rub a trichlor tablet on the stains, or powder chorine (in a sock), on the stain, if it lifts or lightens, then it is organic. Let us know how you fare out :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.