Vinyl liner over Concrete or Steel walls

Jul 5, 2010
New York
Hi, I'm a new member on this site. I am in the process of hiring a pool builder for a new vinyl lined in-ground pool in NY.
A few builders use poured concrete walls. The others use a steel frame , cost is similar. Are there any distinct advantages
of one system over the other. Thanks in advance for your help.

welcome neighbor...steel walled pools are pretty popular and can last 40+ years. Depending on where you are in NY Foxx Pools tend to be popular in the Dutchess cty area.

My advice though...make sure you get some references...I have seen some simple pool builds take all summer :hammer:

Welcome to TFP!!

Steel or concrete doesn't really make a difference - as long as the builder is competent!

If you're on the shore, I'd advise against steel walls, salt water can eat them up :( However, resin walls would be a viable option.

Find the builder you trust most and is willing to build the pool you want and let him/ her (I don't want to be accused of being sexist :p ) do their thing with the media they are most comfortable with using! Get a bunch of quotes/ proposals and run them by us, we'll point out issues and help you decide which will best for you :)

You done real good by coming here before signing a contract :goodjob: Use this forum as a resource as you are planning your pool.

I love how the pool builders talk trash!!!

steel is just fine. Im on the nj shore and many of the pools i service are steel walls. I seriously think either would be fine. It really just depends on the builder. ASK FOR REFERANCES!

I agree that it all depends on a good builder but if everything else was perfectly equal, I would opt for concrete. Done well, it won't crack and provides a stability and longevity that steel may not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.