Just starting my conversion from Baqucrap to Chlorine

Medman

Jul 9, 2010
After 2 years of fighting to get and keep a clear pool while on Baquacil i finally decided to tak the leap an convert to the old standard, Chlorine. This website has given me some great advice on the process and how to do the conversion. Wish me luck. I will post daily with updates. Any additional advice????????????

Absolutely Richard. I am actually excited about this process and what my pool will look like in a week or so. Well im adding 2 more gallons before bed. Does Wal-Mart or target carry good test kits???

Medman said:
Absolutely Richard. I am actually excited about this process and what my pool will look like in a week or so. Well im adding 2 more gallons before bed. Does Wal-Mart or target carry good test kits???
No. Not for what you need. Hasten thee to tftestkits.net and get the FAS-DPD kit (or the TF100XL, to get it all). Nothing at a box store will measure FC as high as you need to go. And you probably won't find it at a local pool store, either.

well i added 3 gallons this morning around 7:00 and left for the day. It is 6:30 and i added 3 gallons, will add 3 more later this evening. when i came home this evening the pools was clear to the point i could see the bottom but there is still a yellowish green tint. my reading are:
CL-2
Br-4
PH 7.5
im just using a kit i picked up at wal-mart today, it's better than nothing. Should i be excited because its starting to clear up or is that premature because it will cloud up again? I won't be able to get a full set of reading until Monday when the pool store opens up. I should keep hitting i with a lot of bleach correct?

You will need to be able to measure CCs to know how the conversion is progressing. If a complete test kit is out of the question, at least order a FAS-DPD kit so you can accurately measure your FC and CC during the conversion. The pool will often appear crystal clear several days before the conversion is complete.

OK my wife is going to have the water tested tomorrow while im at a BB tournament. is that what i need tested?
FC, CTA, CC, TC and my Baquacil levels to se if they are dropping enough? Anything else???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
update, I still have to have a full water analysis done which i will have done tomorrow morning but my pools CL reading is 5 and PH 7.8. In 48 hours my pools has gone from an green alge riddlen fully balanced Baquacil pool to a crystal clear beautiful pool. Question, i'm going to continue to add bleach but ideally where should my levels be reading so say the conversion is complete????

Wow! Nice work, medman. You must not have had much baquagoo in your pool. Conversions are usually far longer and take a lot more bleach.

Now, you want to finish up strong by making sure there are no organics left to kill in the pool. That involves an overnight FC loss test. You can read how in pool school.

Prepare to change out your filter media just as soon as you pass the test.

You will have completed the process when....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Then changeout your filter media and enjoy your NEW pool!

Thanks Dave. My Baquacil sanitizer was 37 and oxidizer 8. I had my pool test Friday afternoon and they said everything was in balance. I used appox. 28 gallons to-date. Some of those were 12.5% vs 6% so i counted the 12.5% as two. I opened my pool the week before Memorial Day and have spent over $400 dollars in Baquacil and never had my pools spakling clear as it is now. This weekend i spend maybe $60 dollars and it beautiful.

Medman said:
Thanks Dave. My Baquacil sanitizer was 37 and oxidizer 8. I had my pool test Friday afternoon and they said everything was in balance. I used appox. 28 gallons to-date. Some of those were 12.5% vs 6% so i counted the 12.5% as two. I opened my pool the week before Memorial Day and have spent over $400 dollars in Baquacil and never had my pools spakling clear as it is now. This weekend i spend maybe $60 dollars and it beautiful.
[center:2jdt4rfd]$400???
:shock:
It is time.[/center:2jdt4rfd]

Yup, and that doesn't include the free product the pool store gave me because i was having such a problem and they had not answers. They must have given me $50-$60 in free product. Quick story, after bitc# up a storm at the pool store last week because if all the time and money i have spent on Baquacil and was still having major issues and they had NO answers. The girl that works at the pool store said to me "yeah, baqucail tends to lose its effectiveness after a couple of years" i relied " then why did you push me to use it when i bought my pool from you 3 years ago?" she just looked at me like a deer in headlights.

I had my water tested at the local pool store, by Baquacil is almost gone it's at a 4. Here is the breakdown:
CYA- 53
TC-2.5
FC-1.2
CC-1.3 (Difference between TC and FC correct???)
PH-8.1
TA-180
They said my hardness is high, 301. should i worry about this??
They said i need to shock the pool to bring the CC down so that the TC and FC are closer together. I did buy the bags of shock just because i wasn't sure how much bleach i needed to use to shock the pool.
Any idea how much bleach vs. a bag of shock?

Here is their "regular maintenance" schedule:
They recommended using BioGuard products.

Also they are recommending 4 oz. per week of Algae Inhibitor, is this needed?? I didn't think so but i though i would ask.
Maintain 1.5-3 chlorine with BioGuard Smart sticks (2-3 sticks 2xper week)
Maintenance Oxidizer- 2 bags of Shock or one gallon of Liquid
4 oz's weekly Algae Inhibitor

thoughs or recommendations anyone?
They also recommended doing the overnight chlorine lose test tomorrow night once we get the CC lower.

Medman said:
I had my water tested at the local pool store, by Baquacil is almost gone it's at a 4. Here is the breakdown:
CYA- 53
TC-2.5
FC-1.2
CC-1.3 (Difference between TC and FC correct???)
PH-8.1
TA-180

They said my hardness is high, 301. should i worry about this??It is not too high yet, however you do need to lower your TA 70-100 and keep your pH between 7.2-7.5 to avoid calcium scale should your hardness (calcium) increase. It will only increase if you use cal-hypo products or if your fill water is high in calcium.

They said i need to shock the pool to bring the CC down so that the TC and FC are closer together. I did buy the bags of shock just because i wasn't sure how much bleach i needed to use to shock the pool. You can use the pool calculator to determine how much chlorine you need to shock your pool should the need arise.

Any idea how much bleach vs. a bag of shock? The bags of shock will say treats x pounds per x gallons somewhere on the package. You need to know what the shock contains before you decide whether to use it in your pool.

Here is their "regular maintenance" schedule:
They recommended using BioGuard products.

Also they are recommending 4 oz. per week of Algae Inhibitor, is this needed?? I didn't think so but i though i would ask. As long as you keep your FC above minimum levels you will not be at risk for algae.

Maintain 1.5-3 chlorine with BioGuard Smart sticks (2-3 sticks 2xper week)How much chlorine you need is determined by how much CYA is in your pool. If your CYA is 53 you should be keeping your FC between 4-8.

Maintenance Oxidizer- 2 bags of Shock or one gallon of LiquidIf you keep your FC within range you will not need to shock.
4 oz's weekly Algae Inhibitor

thoughs or recommendations anyone?

You really need your own high quality test kit, such as the TF100, or the Taylor K600. Then you will not have to run to the pool store to test your water and listen to the sales pitch every time you walk in the door.

You also need to decide if you are going to follow the recommendations from the pool store or if you are going to follow the recommendations from this site. The advice you get from them and the advice you get here will often be in conflict with each other. Remember, you just said they knew the Baquacil would eventually be problematic and they sold it to you anyway without a word of caution.

They also recommended doing the overnight chlorine lose test tomorrow night once we get the CC lower.
http://www.thepoolcalculator.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.