DE filter pressure never raise?

ssa

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2010
San Jose,CA
It has been a few months since I replace my DE. BTW, my DE filter does not have
the back wash port. I have to open it up to clean it.

The water is crystal clear as usual. But I never saw the DE filter pressure raise.
It is always a little more than 10 PSI. Makes me wonder if the DE filter is broken.

When I open the DE filter, the screen looks fine. There is some wear at the spot
where connect the screen to the main filter slot. How can I find out if the filter
has some leaking on the screen?

I don't have much stuff in the pool to filter. I usually can wait a month before
I need to clean the screening filter inside the pump. Sorry I forget what it was
call. It is the mechanical one built in with the pump, on the input side. Looks like
a mini skimmer.

I use the net to pick leave from the pool almost every day, usually after I roll up
the solar blanket.

If the water coming from the return into the pool feels as strong as it usually does then your filter is probably o.k. You said there is not much for the filter to filter out each day, so it may be a good while until you get enough dirt accumulation in the filter to require cleaning. Usually my pressure will be steady for a long time and then start to rise over a couple of days and the return flow drops. That is when I know its time to clean the filter.

Richard320 said:
Do you trust the gauge? Either you have a clean filter or a bad gauge.

If you had a bad screen, you'd know it. There'd be fine silt, in drifts most likely, all over the bottom of the pool. And cloudy water.

If I block the return, by using a jet return or some thing. The gauge reading will raise.
It is just not raise by DE filter along. So I guess the gauge can measure higher readings.
I haven't seen the fine silt in the pool. The pool seems perfect otherwise.

ssa said:
waste said:
If you want to test to see if the grids are letting stuff pass, dump ~ 1/2 lb of DE into the skimmer and watch the returns to see if the water comes out cloudy :wink:

Good idea. I will try that. Will the extra DE cause problem for the filter?

The extra 1/2 lb won't cause problems :cool: You've already said that you break the unit down for a good manual cleaning on occasion, this small amount of extra DE is just for testing purposes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.