Cheap pool vacuum

Jul 9, 2010
Hello,
I purchased a 12'x30" Intex AG pool. I'm doing basic testing (FC and pH). I want to vacuum it but don't want to spend $60 on an Intex pool vacuum because it would cost more than the pool itself.

There isn't a ton of stuff to vacuum. Can't I just hook up a longer hose the filter/pump and use my pump as a makeshift vacuum?

I had the 18'x 48" for a while. I did exactly what you describe. However, for fine dust I found the crappy Intex paper filters let it blow right back into the pool. I had to pull the return and vacuum to waste (driveway) to get it clean.

I have nothing to compare it to, but I really like my AquaBroom. For really fine stuff, line the bag with a knee high nylon. I think it was about $40. I'm on season two with no complaints.

editing to add: One of the tips I read on this site is great - on your way out of the pool, walk around the edge a few times to create a whirlpool. Five to ten minutes after you get out, all the little junk will have settled into a nice pile in the middle of the bottom of the pool, making vacuuming very quick.

thanks for all your help. I ended up getting 10ft of tubing from Lowe's and was going to hook it up to the pump/filter. Then I figured I'd just use it as a siphon and it worked. I put on my dive mask and spent about 15 minutes siphoning-up the debris. Worked great for me. Of course, I lost about 30 gallons of water since I let it pour on the ground. I don't have grass there (only weeds =)) so I really didn't care.

Sorry to all the conservationists out there!

But, thanks for the responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.