Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
There is something between the vinyl liner and the pool wall in the deep end, just above the seam where the wall and the downslope meet. (about 6" from the corner). Can't tell if it is a nail laying on its side, sand that got in bewteen the liner or what. Not poking through ... yet. The liner was changed about 8 years ago .. by previous homeowners. Must have been there ever since. With the pressure of the water, nothing could make its way in. The question is, should I drain half the pool down to get at it ... to pull the liner back and remove whatever it is ... or just put a heavy patch over the area to protect against possible future puncture? The area is about 1/8" wide by 2" long going from the seam upward. Strange! Just want to address it now before it becomes an issue some day.

Any advice?

Thx

If it's been there for that long, it probably isn't a big deal. You could always put a patch over it for insurance if you wanted to. You're likely to ruin the liner if you try and get it out.

A friend of mine had a bunch of lizard skeletons behind his liner. Not sure how that happened...

I think you are right. I will put a patch over it for insurance.

Any advice on how I should patch it. I don't want to put too much pressure on it while rolling out the bubbles. I am afraid I might push the item through the liner with too much pressure .. yet I know I have to get the patch to stick and cover the area.

richmgreen said:
I think you are right. I will put a patch over it for insurance.

Any advice on how I should patch it. I don't want to put too much pressure on it while rolling out the bubbles. I am afraid I might push the item through the liner with too much pressure .. yet I know I have to get the patch to stick and cover the area.

I would use a piece of vinyl at least 2-3 inches larger than the area that is protruding. That pool patch adhesive is very sticky and doesn't need much pressure to adhere. Any chance the previous owner left a piece of vinyl liner so you would have a nice match?

No. They didn't leave any behind. I thought I saw a clear patch available on the inetrnet. The bottom of the bump (object) is on the seam that seperates the wall part of the liner from where the downslope of the deep end starts. Couldn't be just on a flat surface, that would have been too easy! Do you know of anyplace you can buy patches that might match ... or just go with clear?

Also, I noticed you have a Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG. How do you like it? How long have you had it? ANy issues.? .. or advice on buying an SWG?
I am in the process of trying to pick a unit to buy.

Thx

richmgreen said:
Couldn't be just on a flat surface, that would have been too easy! Do you know of anyplace you can buy patches that might match ... or just go with clear?

Also, I noticed you have a Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG. How do you like it? How long have you had it? ANy issues.? .. or advice on buying an SWG?
I am in the process of trying to pick a unit to buy.

I'd just go with the clear patch.

I've had my SWG 14 months and love it. No problems so far. I purchased the Hayward because the dealer is nearby and provides good service.

My only hesitation was that it is down by the seam seperating the side wall and sloping wall of deep end. Normally for wiinterizing I drain just below the returns. To drain to get access to this, I would have to drain down just below the seam. That would drain all of the shallow end. That would be 50%+ of the pool water. Just worried about causing more problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the confusion, I thought it was higher up on the wall :oops:

My advice to leave it be still stands. You're either going to have to drain ~ 1/2 the pool, just to gain access to it or it will make it's own 'C- section', at which point you can remove it and apply a patch.

Be careful brushing or vacuuming that area and keep the kids (of whatever age) from 'worrying' it!

Ted -- I've never dealt with a leak, but doesn't he run the risk of having a large hole if it does poke through?

I read this post because I have a similar issue with what I assume is a metal shard from the steel wall that must have rusted behind the liner (28-y-o steel wall). It is poking out like the end of a nail -- I'm pretty sure that it will eventually poke through the liner as it's very sharp. So I've also been thinking about a pre-emptive patch to prevent a larger leak from potentially happening.

You say this liner is 8 years old already, if it were me, I would leave it there and deal with it when you have to change liners in a few years. My Pool's (wood / cement framed) first liner had a not fully driven nail head clearly showing about 2 feet below the water line at one of the corners, it never caused a leak although by the time it was replaced at around age 15 the liner had a number of other patches. At the time of replacement the liner was somewhat faded and getting close to the end its useful life when an off road vehicle ended up in the pool (Kawasaki Mule).

Ike

p.s. for those that are curious a Kawasaki Mule will fit through a standard 72 inch wide french door opening with about 1/2 inch to spare.

What should one expect from the life of a liner of an inground pool? We are the second owners of the house. The original owners said the liner we have now is the second liner. I would guess they put the pool in when they built the house in 1992. Should a liner last 10 yrs, 15 yrs .... I realize quality, thickness and other factors come into play. Any ballparks estimates though?

I don't know if I can be of much help here, considering the differences between an indoor and outdoor pool, but a lot depends on care, mostly in the form of chemical exposure, as well as the quality of the liner. My pool is on its 3rd liner in 30 years, liner number one that I already mentioned lasted about 15 years, and was approaching the end of its useful life when it had its vehicular incident. Liner number 2 only lasted about 5 or 6 years, failure may have been related to a manufactuering problem, it kept developing splits along the seams, Liner number 3 was thicker "premium" liner, at about 10 years of age it is still going strong, only one small hole patched, color only slightly faded (color can be seen in my avatar photo, it started out as a dark blue, so has faded some, much less than liner #1 which had almost faded to blueish white at the same age), judging by current condition it would not surprise me to see it last another 10 or more years.

Ike

richmgreen said:
What should one expect from the life of a liner of an inground pool? We are the second owners of the house. The original owners said the liner we have now is the second liner. I would guess they put the pool in when they built the house in 1992. Should a liner last 10 yrs, 15 yrs .... I realize quality, thickness and other factors come into play. Any ballparks estimates though?

Mine's 28 years old and approaching the end of its useful life, but that's pretty unusual. My neighbor just replaced a 15-y-o one. Depends on chemicals, sunlight, abuse most likely.

A couple of examples are adding acid so it sinks and come in contact with the liner, this is particulalry a problem with dry CYA/stabilizer as it is so slow to disolve. The same can be true of chlorine products, as well as not having well managed chlorine levels that can cause bleaching.

Ike

As long as it is not settling on the bottom and used at the correct levels it should be ok. Watch to make sure none settles in places line seams on the slope to the deep end, etc where it may become trapped. These problems tend to happen when you get into too much of a rush and dump stuff too fast and all in one spot. If you do see dry chemicals make it all the way to the bottom, get out your pool brush and stir them up.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.