jmb120

Jul 3, 2010
Here are my results:
FC: 3.5
CC: .5
PH: 7.4
TA: 130
CH: 150
CYA: ??? the when mixing the water with the solution, it never turned cloudy, and when testing, I got to the top of the tube and could still see a faint black dot. I have had it tested a couple of times by the pool store this year. The first time it was 30 and last week it was 60.

The water is a blue color and has been all season. You can see your hand only about 6 inches down. I haven't see the bottom of the pool yet this year :( We have been swimming because everything isn't testing too bad and the pool store said it would be safe.

Do you think it could be filter issue? We have backwashed and rinsed a few times but the water never changes color.

How should I proceed?

Make sure you conducted the CYA test correctly. Follow all the directions precisely. Conduct the test outside with your back to the sun and hold the viewing tube at waist level. If you can still see the dot when the tube is filled you have less than 20ppm CYA and you will need to add some. Add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm in a sock and hang it in front of a return with the pump running until it dissolves.

You should shock your pool until you pass the overnight test. Read How to shock your pool for more information. Keep the pump running 24/7 during the shock process and backwash your filter as needed.

Do an Overnight FC Loss test to see if your FC is holding overnight. If you lose more than 1ppm then you should shock the pool. When was the last time you opened the filter and checked the sand? How often do you run the filter?

I did the cya test again with the same results. I have been leaving the pump on 24hrs hoping it will clear up. The pump was new last year and new sand was added when we hooked it up last year. I have been testing daily with my walmart chlorine/ph test and I don't think I'm losing that much clorine, but will do the overnight test tonight.

Unless you have reason to know that you put in enough CYA to be @ 30+ (like the pool store says), you should trust your own testing and assume you have less than 30ppm. If you can see the dot pretty well, assume you have zero.

So your cloudiness is likely coming from algae in your pool (that's my bet) so do the overnight FC loss test and you will be able to definitively confirm or reject that. Please make sure you understand exactly how to do it.....a lot of people don't get it right at first.

If it turns out you pass the OFCLT, (I love abbreviations) then it's very, very safe to assume you have a filtration issue and that can be dealt with, too.

I suggest you report the results of the OFCLT, and we'll help you get the pool crystal clear.

Ok, I did the overnight test, I tested last night at 8:30 and my FC was 2 (at 2pm it was 3.5). This morning at 6:30 my FC was 1.5
Did I fail or pass the test?? Should I shock or should I just increase my FC to normal levels considering? It is suppose to rain all day today, will that affect anything?

Also, after I thought about it for awhile, it does make sense that my CYA would be really low. Last fall we had a leak in the pool and lost almost all the water and refilled it with tap water. I looked at the pool store chemicals I had been adding earlier this summer and I don't see any that have cya in them, not even the pucks. My hubby picked up some CYA last night and we'll do the sock method as recommended, now when should I test the CYA again? The test kit didn't come with a lot of cya testing stuff, so I hate to waste it and I did 2 cya tests yesterday.

Wait a week after adding CYA before testing again.

If I am following correctly, FC was 2 yesterday after sunset and then 1.5 this morning early, so you lost 0.5 overnight. That means you pass the overnight FC loss test and don't need to shock. CC at 0.5 can be ignored. If CC goes up to 1.0 you will need to do something about it, but at 0.5 it is fine.

I think we just figured out the problem, just opened the filter and looked at the sand, it is all bluish/green and it's not rinsing clean, I'm going to buy new sand now. I hope that solves our problems, but thanks for everyone's assistance!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you do anything strange over the winter? Like cover it with blue canvas? Did you winter full or empty, I assume partially full? (I don't know anything about AG pools but this persistent blue seems a little bizarre.) Please tell us how you winterized--there may be some suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future. I wonder if maybe some winterizing chemical leached out the coloring from the pool or cover.

Hate to tell you this, but we didn't do anything to the water before winterizing last year because we had a leak in the pool, fixed that then filled the pool half way up right before the snow started flying. Never added any chemicals or even put the winter cover on last year. The pump and the filter were stored in the garage.

One more question, I'm in the process of adding some CYA, I have it in a sock but should it be in the skimmer or in front of where the water goes back into the pool?

I have been using my taylor test kit exclusively since I received it on Friday. I just passed the overnight test for the second night in a row and my cc is still .5 We put the new sand in the filter and have kept it running. Since it has been 17 hours I was expecting to see at least some change when I woke up this morning, but no, the water is still as blue is ever. I still can't see below a couple of inches in the water. Is it too soon to see a change? What else could be going on? I am really sick of this pool, it's mid July and we still haven't seen the bottom of the pool!

Some years ago, someone posted on here that you cannot expect to solve overnight what has taken far, far longer to develop. You will need some patience.

Since your test results are all in good shape, the only thing that seems left to do is to continue to filter your pool to clear up the remaining junk. Brush and vacuum as often as you can, backwash/clean when necessary, and continue running your pump 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.