AGP installation questions

Jun 22, 2010
It's getting a bit late in the summer, but we are finally about to install our AGP and I have a few questions.

1. Do the skimmer and return go on the same side of the pool? One side of our pool will have a deck and the other will be exposed but we want to landscape around it to dress it up. Would you put the skimmer on the exposed side? I know there should be a gap between the pool and any bushes so we can get to the pool for maintenance.
2. The pool is an 18x40 oval. I am assuming the skimmer etc. will go on the straight part of the wall. Is that right?
3. What do you recommend around the bottom of the pool to keep our Georgia clay from staining the sides when it rains? We are thinking a layer of sand topped off by either rock or mulch. Does mulch hold too much moisture? Is the sand OK?
4. We have to put a 4ft fence around the pool. Where the top of the pool is more that 4ft above the ground, does anyone know whether we can count the pool wall itself as a fence?

Can't help you no any but number 4. You'll need to find the building code or other applicable law that will likely spell that out. Each jurisdiction (even to the level of city) is different. And if you want to be sure you are in complete compliance, don't give it a casual read -- sometimes they have four feet as a cut off but can differ on if over or under four feet needs a fence -- ie, a pool wall not less than 48 inches can be considered part of the fence - versus - a pool wall over 48" can be considered part of the fence. In one instance a pool wall that is exactly 48" is legally considered a fence and in the other it is not. You can usually just call the applicable city department and have them answer it over the phone (at least where I live).

Oops - editing to add that sometimes it also matters if the entirety of the pool wall is on top of the ground versus sunken a bit.

You will want to place your skimmer where your prevailing winds will help push debris into it. Skimmer placement is different for everyone. Your pool wall will be precut for the skimmer, so check the internet for your prevailing wind direction and place that part of the wall where the wind will help you the most. I installed a 2nd jet and then a thrid in my pool as I wanted the extra push on such a big model and then discovered that it would also help to have some running water under my steps to help keep that area clean. We also hard plummed for a slide and watefall to come later. Your return jet hole will be precut as well, but it is not hard to make any changes or add where you want. You can check with your local pool store for extra jets with the correct gaskits. I hope this helped you out.

P.S. on the fencing requirements. Go ahead and check with your insurance agent too to determine wether or not your homeowners insurance company will require a fence too. Not all county/city building code requirements are the same as what your insurance company would want you to have.

ellruss said:
It's getting a bit late in the summer, but we are finally about to install our AGP and I have a few questions.

1. Do the skimmer and return go on the same side of the pool? One side of our pool will have a deck and the other will be exposed but we want to landscape around it to dress it up. Would you put the skimmer on the exposed side? I know there should be a gap between the pool and any bushes so we can get to the pool for maintenance.On an above ground pool the skimmer and return are usually on the same side of the pool, fairly close together. If you want you can add a second return on the opposite side of the pool. That will ensure good circulation. As far as placement goes, you want the skimmer to be easily accessible. Some have decked over the skimmer and made an access hatch. If you can post a drawing of what you have in mind it will be easier for us to make suggestions.
2. The pool is an 18x40 oval. I am assuming the skimmer etc. will go on the straight part of the wall. Is that right? That is usually where it is placed.
3. What do you recommend around the bottom of the pool to keep our Georgia clay from staining the sides when it rains? We are thinking a layer of sand topped off by either rock or mulch. Does mulch hold too much moisture? Is the sand OK? Some people put a layer of landscape cloth down first, then sand or gravel or whatever on top. Mulch tends to wash away but you can use it if you want.
4. We have to put a 4ft fence around the pool. Where the top of the pool is more that 4ft above the ground, does anyone know whether we can count the pool wall itself as a fence?
You would have to check your local ordinances to see if that is allowed.

Sorry I misunderstood earlier. Your skimmer inlet and outlet are near one another. Mine are in the bend (or corner) as I have an oval shaped pool. The skimmer mouth is usully referred to as the skimmer inlet and the small return hole near it is called the skimmer outlet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.