Questions about remodeling pool Myself!

Jul 9, 2010
I am in need to retiling my pool. I have done some tile work on my own in my house and do not think it would be a huge challenge. But I have some questions.

I live in Dallas where it is very hot and I have heard that a pool whould NEVER be drained as the shell could lift and now you need a new pool!

1) Is it safe to drain the pool halfway or 3-4 inches below the tile line?
2) If I am going to drain the pool when is the best time to do it. I am not worried about water
cost as it is cheeper to fill a pool then fix one.
3) What about tiling over a plaster surface. If I want to tile my entire Jacuzzi could I do that
right onto the plaster?

Thanks in Advance for any comments!

Dallas6570 said:
I am in need to retiling my pool. I have done some tile work on my own in my house and do not think it would be a huge challenge. But I have some questions.

I live in Dallas where it is very hot and I have heard that a pool whould NEVER be drained as the shell could lift and now you need a new pool!

1) Is it safe to drain the pool halfway or 3-4 inches below the tile line?
2) If I am going to drain the pool when is the best time to do it. I am not worried about water
cost as it is cheeper to fill a pool then fix one.
3) What about tiling over a plaster surface. If I want to tile my entire Jacuzzi could I do that
right onto the plaster?

Thanks in Advance for any comments!

Exposing the plaster is as much of a concern, especially in hot weather, as a floating pool. Most areas do not have high water tables (although you may) and it is not too much of an issue. It is good that you ask and are concerned though.

If you expose 3-4 inches (or any amount) you run the risk of creating a "bathtub ring" as well as drying out that area of plaster. Plaster does not like to be exposed, and it can, and does, delaminate, with exposure.

Cooler weather is better to drain than warmer weather.

As with anything, prep is the key. If your plaster is stable, and you can still prep it well enough to accept tile, then that should work. I would abrade it well if it were me, or completely remove it, depending on the condition of the plaster.

You did not ask, but tiling up to existing plaster is kind of putting the cart before the horse. Tiling is usually done and plaster is brought to it, to create a waterproof joint. How will you seal the new tile as it interfaces with the old plaster?

Not can't, just not the norm. Removing the tile oftentimes removes some of the plaster beneath it, and you have to find a way to address that area for that reason as well as for providing a watertight seal again (you don't want water to leak out under the tile line!). I have saw cut beneath the tile before, applied new tile and used the grout to make the "point of connection" again, but I don't really think it is the best way to do things!

There will be a "patch" if you do it this way, no matter what, and it will not match (especially if the grout is a different color than the plaster :shock: ). Most folks don't replace their tile just because they don't like what they have, but they will often do it during a re-plaster to freshen up the pool. We can then prep for the new tile and bring the plaster to the tile face elevation and create the bond. Exposing the plaster is risky as well, and then there is the standing on the plaster (either in some water or dry) that opens up that opportunity for an accident. Just not the best way to do this, especially if a re-plaster is on the horizon anyway!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.