Peeling Paint?

robrinker

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I bought a house with an inground pool last november, and I am a first time pool owner.

According to public record, the pool was built in 1969. I have no records indicating what, if any, maintenance or repairs have been done to the pool. The sides and bottom of the pool appear to have peeling paint. A pic of the problem is attached.

My questions are as follows:

Is it safe to complete drain the pool and repaint it?
Do you sand/scrape off loose paint before doing this?
Is there any brand/type of paint anyone would recommend?
How can I tell if the pool is plaster, gunite, or concrete?

I have another problem that I will be posting in another topic, so please forgive the duplicate information. I just figured it would be less confusing that way.

TIA,

Ron

defect2.jpg

All plaster/gunite/concrete pools are a thin layer of plaster on top of a thick layer of concrete. Gunnite is really just a way of applying concrete using a spray gun. Shotcrete is another way of applying concrete. The plaster layer is what makes it waterproof.

The safety of draining the pool depends on your local water table. A high water table can cause an empty pool to float right out of the ground. Generally when doing major repairs you drill some relief holes in the pool to allow ground water to get in so it won't float.

Old paint frequently needs to be sandblasted off.

Paint isn't the best surface for a pool. It doesn't last all that long and can sometimes allow chemicals from the paint to leach out into the water. If you can possibly afford it I would recommend that you have the pool replastered.

Thanks for the info. If anyone can recommend someone in the Greater Cleveland/Akron Ohio area to do a replaster, I'll probably go that way. The paint has been a pain, and we get a ton of paint chips in the filter skimmer whenever we brush the pool. Anyone have a rough idea of what a replaster should cost?

I'm not really sure about the water table around here. We have well water, and haven't had any supply problem despite having a minor drought this summer, so I'm assuming that it is probably at least somewhat high.

We have a 1.5 foot diameter covered PVC pipe with holes drilled in the sides of it about 2 feet from our pool. I've always wondered what it was for. Is that something to do with the water table? I can post a pic if that would be helpful.

I really appreciate all the helpful information here. You guys are great.

robrinker said:
We have a 1.5 foot diameter covered PVC pipe with holes drilled in the sides of it about 2 feet from our pool. I've always wondered what it was for. Is that something to do with the water table?

Yes. That should allow you to see how high the water table is also serves a place you could put a pump to try and lower the water table if you need to.

We have a 1.5 foot diameter covered PVC pipe with holes drilled in the sides of it about 2 feet from our pool. I've always wondered what it was for. Is that something to do with the water table? I can post a pic if that would be helpful.
That should be incredibly helpful if you drain your pool. Put a stick in it to see how deep it goes. If it's almost as deep as the bottom of your pool, it will be perfect to insert a submersible pump into and drain the surrounding groundwater from around your pool. That done, you have no worries draining your pool.

I am in complete agreement with considering a replaster. Paint is always troublesome in pools. Replastering can frequently be cheaper over a period of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.