chlorinator problem or trichlor problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2007
b_F6F8E28150F2269D5470A2D9FA1E565C.jpg

we got this such sick substance in the chlorinator, which is made of ABS as are the unions on it,the pool pipe is PVC. Our PH and ICA levels were about normal when we started to test the tablets, although we didn't test the pool water then.

The sticky substance sample was taken after the first 12 tablets had dissolved.
We did not use any cal hypo in the pool then or when the second 12 tablets were dissolving.

We further understand that the use of boric acid when sprayed onto the moulds, as opposed to being mixed in with the trichlor, is unlikely to cause the problem, as in small quantities it is soluble in pool water.
However, if stearates (we understand that these are a mixture of stearic, palmitic and oleic acids which are derived from animal and vegetable fats) are used in trichlor tablets then, as they are not soluble in water, will they cause the gummy substance in the chlorinator?

Another possibility,Abs is a poor product use with pools and spas as it has a tendency to breakdown over a short period of time,May they have reacted with the abs and melted down the inner shield of abs?

ANY Suggestions ?

I'm not sure what tablets you are referring to or what advice we can give you without a set of test numbers.

I can tell you this about ABS. Virtually all skimmers, main drains, many filter parts, etc. are made of ABS plastic and are incredibly common in pools. ABS is not the issue.

Give us a little more info on how that stuff formed and we may be able to help.

duraleigh said:
I'm not sure what tablets you are referring to or what advice we can give you without a set of test numbers.

I can tell you this about ABS. Virtually all skimmers, main drains, many filter parts, etc. are made of ABS plastic and are incredibly common in pools. ABS is not the issue.

Give us a little more info on how that stuff formed and we may be able to help.

The tables are TCCA tables. The sticky substance feels like Gum..

I didn't used floculant in our pool and certainly not since we have been using TCCA. ( I have a cartridge filter which filters out very fine material so I don't need to us floc.)

I sometimes use poly 60 % algicide (Poly (oxythlene) (dimethyliminio) ethylene- (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride) ) but not for a couple of months.

Since I have started to test TCCA in my chlorinator I have only used one brand of TCCA in it.
The only other chemicals I have used are water balancing chemicals, and only sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.

Well, I wish I was a little smarter but TCCA is new to me. Maybe someone else on the forum knows what it is and can comment.

I am virtually clueless as to the nature of that substance or what may have caused it.

The answer will be very interesting and I bet someone here on the forum can sniff it out.

I think the lack of a response indicates no one has good idea what that stuff is.

On another subject, it would be better if you delete your other thread you started. Having all the info in one thread will allow all of us to give the best advice.....if anyone can think of something!!

What resources have you tried since August?

From looking at the image it looks like the substance is on the plastic itself rather than being a reaction OF the plastic with anything. If you peel back some of this substance, is the plastic underneath in normal condition or does it appear that the plastic itself has reacted?

Also, though you mention other bulk chemicals (boric acid -- probably from adding 20 Mule Team Borax, right), you haven't added anything concentrated into this chlorinator except Trichlor, right? All other chemicals were added to the bulk pool water and not through the chlorinator, correct? Did you add any chemicals via the skimmer?

Trichlor is very acidic, but chlorinator plastic is normally designed to handle that. It is possible that the particular brand of Trichlor you are using has binders in it, but most are pure and compressed. It could be that the Trichlor has something else in it as a "combo" product -- some Trichlor tabs have copper in them while others have special binders for slow dissolving only when water was flowing (e.g. BioGuard Smart Sticks).

Usually in terms of getting gummed up, it's Cal-Hypo that causes a problem since it needs binders to be in tablet form and the tablets often fall apart as they get smaller and a gummy residue is often left behind.

Unfortunately, you've got a mystery. Let us know if the substance is on top of the plastic or is a reaction of the plastic. Not that we'll be able to help out much from that, but at least it will point to Trichlor+Plastic vs. Trichlor alone.

Richard

waterbear said:
flyskiing said:
b_F6F8E28150F2269D5470A2D9FA1E565C.jpg

we got this such sick substance in the chlorinator, which is made of ABS as are the unions on it,the pool pipe is PVC. Our PH and ICA levels were about normal when we started to test the tablets, although we didn't test the pool water then.

The sticky substance sample was taken after the first 12 tablets had dissolved.
We did not use any cal hypo in the pool then or when the second 12 tablets were dissolving.

We further understand that the use of boric acid when sprayed onto the moulds, as opposed to being mixed in with the trichlor, is unlikely to cause the problem, as in small quantities it is soluble in pool water.
However, if stearates (we understand that these are a mixture of stearic, palmitic and oleic acids which are derived from animal and vegetable fats) are used in trichlor tablets then, as they are not soluble in water, will they cause the gummy substance in the chlorinator?

Another possibility,Abs is a poor product use with pools and spas as it has a tendency to breakdown over a short period of time,May they have reacted with the abs and melted down the inner shield of abs?

ANY Suggestions ?
I am a bit confused, are you a manufacuter who is trying to make trichlor tablets or are you a pool owner who is having some difficulties with your chlorinator?

Without a full set of test results, or better yet, a history of test results it's really impossible to know what might be going on. Please read the stickies on the menu at the top of the main page to know what to test for and how to post the results.

Also, an easy experiment would be to clean the equipment and then switch to a different brand of trichlor and see if the same thing happens. It is possible that your problem is from an inferior brand of trichlor that is using a non soluable filler to increase the weight of the tablets cheaply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Who's taking care of this tablet feeder? It looks like the pool knucklehead arrived to add a bunch of magic lube to the cap o-ring. That will turn into this sludge real quick with the amounts I've seen used. They make a silicone gel for this reason.

The subject in other thread I started has been deleted.

chem geek said:
From looking at the image it looks like the substance is on the plastic itself rather than being a reaction OF the plastic with anything. If you peel back some of this substance, is the plastic underneath in normal condition or does it appear that the plastic itself has reacted?

The chlorinator is a Hayward C200 in line chlorinator,which is made of abs as are the unions on it,it'The cholorinator is Apparently Sound.

Also, though you mention other bulk chemicals (boric acid -- probably from adding 20 Mule Team Borax, right), you haven't added anything concentrated into this chlorinator except Trichlor, right?

Just water balancing chemicals ,and only sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate

All other chemicals were added to the bulk pool water and not through the chlorinator, correct? Did you add any chemicals via the skimmer?

:( other chemicals were added to the bulk pool water.
We didn't add any chemcails via the skimmer. :(

Trichlor is very acidic, but chlorinator plastic is normally designed to handle that. It is possible that the particular brand of Trichlor you are using has binders in it, but most are pure and compressed. It could be that the Trichlor has something else in it as a "combo" product -- some Trichlor tabs have copper in them while others have special binders for slow dissolving only when water was flowing (e.g. BioGuard Smart Sticks).

This kind of tabs don't contain copper in them, maybe a high stearate magnesium?we have test the substance and the result is :

magnesium content: 3250 ppm

iron content: 1059 ppm .

Usually in terms of getting gummed up, it's Cal-Hypo that causes a problem since it needs binders to be in tablet form and the tablets often fall apart as they get smaller and a gummy residue is often left behind.

what are the binders?what kind of material?

Unfortunately, you've got a mystery. Let us know if the substance is on top of the plastic or is a reaction of the plastic. Not that we'll be able to help out much from that, but at least it will point to Trichlor+Plastic vs. Trichlor alone.

Richard

thank you very much!

[/quote]
I am a bit confused, are you a manufacuter who is trying to make trichlor tablets or are you a pool owner who is having some difficulties with your chlorinator?

.....I'm a trade,there is really a onus on us to slove this issues.

Without a full set of test results, or better yet, a history of test results it's really impossible to know what might be going on. Please read the stickies on the menu at the top of the main page to know what to test for and how to post the results.

test for the water or the substance?

Also, an easy experiment would be to clean the equipment and then switch to a different brand of trichlor and see if the same thing happens. It is possible that your problem is from an inferior brand of trichlor that is using a non soluable filler to increase the weight of the tablets cheaply.

[/quote]

Flyskiing, I'm sorry, but I must ask you to stop asking about how to solve your manufacturing / trade problem. This site is here to help residential pool users. Obviously, many of the issues residential pool owners deal also affect commercial pools as well and there may be some crossover when talking about water chemistry. However, we are not going to focus our efforts at solving some trade related issue that really isn't going to have any benefit for any of our members other than yourself.

I'm closing this thread and ask that you not start it again. I'm sure you have other professional resources that can help you solve your problem.

Thanks,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.