Pool turned milky and opaque overnight

May 25, 2010
Since we cleaned up our swamp about a month ago, we've had perfectly balanced, crystal clear water. I did a full test 3 days ago and all the numbers were in range. Daily pH and chlorine tests on Wednesday showed 7.5 and 6ppm. We woke up this morning to a completely opaque, milky white pool. All the numbers are still the same except chlorine which is down to 0. (CC 0.5)

What happened? I'm running out for chlorine now to shock the pool, but I would love to understand what caused this. As I understand, dead algae would make the pool milky, but I never had anything but clear water.

The other numbers are:

ph 7.2 (this had been hovering at 7.5 until this morning)
TA 110
CH 230
CC 0.5
FC 0
CYA 40

My first guess is the beginning of an algae bloom. Sometimes cloudy water is the first sign of algae, and 0 FC is an invitation.

The other possibility is something found its way into the pool that clouded the water and consumed the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.