Just refilled my pool and took first readings...

motv8r

Apr 23, 2010
Well, my CH and CYA were waaay high and the pool calculator said to drain 66% of the pool and refill. So I drained the whole thing (I'm all about a complete fresh start) and did a light acid wash on the plaster. Got it filled up last night, cleaned the filter and put "Fred" back in to pick up the leftover debris.

Here's my question...my boys want to swim tomorrow (Saturday at the latest) and I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea. Here are my readings: BTW, used the TF-100...great kit! :goodjob:

FC: 1
CC: .5
TC: 1.5
pH: 7.5
T/A: 100
CH: 150
CYA: 0

I used the pool calculator and it said to add 60oz of 6% bleach, 171oz of calcium chloride to get to 250 CH and 81oz of stabilizer to get to 40 CYA.

First question...do all of these items fall under the BBB process?
Second question...if I add everything tonight, can my boys swim tomorrow. I'd read something about CYA not showing up for a while. Not too sure what that means.

Thanks for any and all help. I'm headed to Walmart right now, so if anyone is still up and can answer, I'll check before I dump anything in.

It looks good to me :goodjob:

I would personally get the CH up to only 200 (especially if you are in a hard water area, and then I might just leave it if that is the case!). You do need to get some FC in, and keep an eye on the CC's, and put the CYA in (yes, it will take about a week to register properly).

Nothing in it the way it is, or in what you are about to add that says the boys can't swim to me :cheers:

We lowered a pool to 50 ppm ( :oops: ) yesterday and had to buy some to bring the levels back up (we left it at 150). The guy at the pool store looked at us like we were crazy, trying to raise CH in So. California! The bag he brought out was ancient, and he was surprised he had it!

I don't think it will be a WalMart item. Do you know what your CH level in your fill water is?

You can certainly swim tomorrow but rather than focus on CH which is a long-term adjustment......you need to get some chlorine and stabilizer in your pool.

The 1ppm FC will quickly burn off before 10:00AM probably so you will have an unsanitized pool if you do not add more.

It, too, will quickly burn off if you do not get stabilizer in the pool to protect it. buy enough to get to 40ppm or so and put it in right away tomorrow and put in another large jug of Clorox.

Swim all you want and then test your FC tomorrow evening to see if you need to add more. Keep it not lower than 3ppm.

Pool School and the FC/CYA chart has more information.

BBB is a philosophy of pool management rather than a list of specific chemistry so, yes, they all fall into BBB.

Dave, thanks for the reply. I added everything last night just like the calculator suggested. Although it seems I bought enough stabilizer to get me to 33ppm instead 40. I do have some trichlor pucks I guess I could keep using until it gets to 40, correct?

Here are this mornings readings:
FC: 2.5
CC: .5
TC: 3
pH: 7.2 (down from 7.5...why?)
T/A: 100
CH: 230 (was shooting for 200, but guess I put too much in)
CYA: didn't test, but added 4lbs of stabilizer

Based on your suggestion, I called home and had my wife add another 40oz of bleach to get me over 3. So since last night I've put in close to 1.5 gallons of bleach. I'm not sure if you were suggesting I should add another or not, or just to keep it over 3. I will also check again this evening and see where it is. When should I check the CYA again?

On a side note...going to Walmart after 11PM can be an exercise in entertainment/caution!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.