Volunteer Firefighter/ Rescue/ EMS/

dremin2flyhi

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2010
Darlington, SC
Just wondering how many around this forum are in to this ?? I have been a volunteer firefighter for the past 22 years. Also if anyone is into trading / collecting department patches ? just sticking a feeler out there to see if there is any interest here..

Heh heh...man, I have a ton of them around here somewhere. Attic I think. I was a flight nurse on a helicopter for some time and a paramedic on the ground for many years. Over that time, I managed to collect a good number of EMS, fire, and LE patches. I also have about 30 or so pins, but those are mostly air medical ones with a couple of LE ones as well. Not sure if I have any doubles for trade. I'll have to find the things first. Are yours displayed somehow?

Firefighter/EMT volunteer in my mid 20's. Mom didn't like me responding to fires (she worried I'd get hurt :roll: ), but was okay with auto wrecks and the other stuff! Every time she smelled smoke she would call and ask if I was "responding". I didn't like her worrying, so I quit. Lots of my buddies stayed in and are now retiring or close to it. I sometimes wish I would have stayed with it, but it just wasn't worth it to see Mom worry.

Now she worries I'll fall in an empty pool........

I hear ya there simicrintz. That is the reason I don't fly anymore. We had a baby girl and after yet another close friend died in an air medical helicopter crash, I did some soul searching. It was then that I decided that it was more important for her to have a daddy that always comes home from work, rather than for me to have a job that was fun. It was fun too. I loved it.

It's hard when you have an innate desire to help people, so you get in to something where you really can make a difference. Back when I did it, the pay was terrible (I was actually "paid call" as opposed to full volunteer) and you did it to help. I've kind of struggled since then (I got into construction and stayed with it. I've built homes and freeway bridges, before settling on swimming pools), since I don't really feel like I am "contributing" any good to anyone. Seems like the other jobs I've had are just about making a living, but no real contributions.

Maybe that is why I spend as much time here as I do :oops: My wife always asks "are you on that pool page again"?! I guess I am just trying to make up for all the years banging nails and building stuff, where I didn't help mankind!

I wonder if I am too old to go back and put on the turnouts again?!

Bruce--- Never too old to hang around the firehouse here.... Actually up until about last year I was the youngest at 38 on the station.. Had one guy to give it up at after 35 years --since our dept was actually started. Was hard to see him go--but we all understood. Actually I got railroaded into it because of my mom-- she has been there from the beginning and she is our current chief of the station while I am the Lt. Been many of days of training --loss of sleep ---boot drives-- suppers to raise money just to put gas in the fire truck. Luckily now -- we are a county wide fire district and supported by a tax base. Hopefully within the next the 2 months we will be breaking ground on our brand new station.. This has been a long hard road but worth it.

I had to give up the interior attack portion of the firefighting because I had a lung problem and lost about 30 to 40% use of left lung. But I still drive and operate the main engine.

Ohm_boy-- thanks ... very much appreciated there...

But the ones that are interested with the patches --do let me know... We just placed an order for some here--hopefully have them in a week or 2..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.