any harm in using old trichlor pucks to increase CYA?

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
I have low CYA in the pool - around 20 .. and was wondering if there would be any harm in using some trichlor pucks from last season (previous owner)... I'm also trying to figure out how many pucks I need to bring it up to the 40 range..
I use bleach for everything .. and never used pucks since we moved in late last summer.

thanks so much..
Patty

You can certainly use them to raise your CYA.

Use Pool Calc to figure how many it'll take buy going to the results of adding chems section near the bottom and entering the size of the tablet and it'll give you how much one puck will raise the CYA and the FC.

Ah.. Never noticed that last part of the pool calculator..that's perfect..thanks..
and if it lowers pH, that's an added bonus.. i've been holding off on running the waterfall full-time b/c i feel like the pH has been inching up..

thanks so much! (as always,love this place)

Bama Rambler said:
You can certainly use them to raise your CYA.

Use Pool Calc to figure how many it'll take buy going to the results of adding chems section near the bottom and entering the size of the tablet and it'll give you how much one puck will raise the CYA and the FC.
Wow, I am glad I saw your post. I have the iPhone Pool Calc and was wondering how much CYA gets added when using dichlor. Now I know :)

Truth be told, I use a combination of bleach and dichlor. When the CYA needs to be raised, I start using the dichlor. (easier to use than bleach anyway).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.