Expected FC output from AquaPure 1400 @ 100%

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
I think I have an issue with something eating my FC levels. That said, I also have a question with what sort of FC level I should expect coming out of my return with my AquaPure at 100%. Based on taking a water sample from my sheer decent, I am measuring 5.5 FC level coming directly from the return at 100%....does this seem about right?

I'd think it would depend on what your FC of the entire pool was and then subtract to get the amount of increase. Then I'd expect it has a lot to do with flow rate too, because the SWG is putting out X amount of chlorine per hour.

I'd think a better way to check your SWG would be to first verify you have no overnight FC loss. Then, check CL level at dusk, run the SWG overnight, and check CL in the AM.

As lborne said, the important measurement is the increase over the bulk pool water, not the absolute level.

Problems maintaining an FC level with a SWG is usually either low CYA levels or algae. What is your CYA level?

Jason,

My CYA is at 70 based on a reading about 2 weeks ago. I do think I may have some algae that was trying to take hold as I had brushed away some dark spots at the corners of 2 of my benches. The current FC level in the pool is 3.5. I can try to do a FC loss test tonight on that front. I would like to wait to shock since I know the kids will be hitting the pool today and tomorrow....was just thinking of adding some bleach to at least bring the levels up a bit until I can shock this weekend (since the kids will be away at my sister in law's).

If the SWG is raising the FC level from 3.5 to 5.5, then it is working just fine.

It does sound like you have algae. With a SWG, you can get into a situation where the SWG and the algae are in balance, the SWG can't quite kill all the algae, and the algae can't quite overwhelm the entire pool. Until you have time to shock, you should raise the FC level manually up to the high end of the normal range, say around 8 or 9.

Jason -

I actually just did that last night. Raised the FC to 9....was 9 this morning as well after sitting overnight without the pump running. As of right now, the water from the return is coming out at 11 FC (vs 9 FC in pool) at 80% output level. This seems low. Now, I did notice that my filter pressure has creeped up (up about 8 pts from my clean level, so it's about time to backwash...would added pressure reduce the effectiveness of the SWG?).

At this point, I think my plan is to:
- keep the FC in the 9ish level manually through Sat evening
- backwash Sat evening
- Shock Sat evening with either bleach or 12%
- check in early AM before heading to Philly to ride the 38th annual American Cancer Society bike-a-thon
- return home in the late afternoon, check things out then and hopefully hit the spa
- backwash again to ensure any algae is out of the system

anything that i'm missing?

Having the SWG raise the FC level by 2 is good. That means that running the pump for one turnover at 100% will raise the FC level in the pool by 2, which is significantly more chlorine than a SWG pool will normally use in a day. The fact that you can't maintain a reasonable FC level with just the SWG at 80% means there is something in the pool consuming chlorine, most likely algae.

Your place sounds great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.