Replacing multiport valve

Tammi

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2010
I think I made a big mistake by lubing the spokes on the top of my multiport valve (I did so because the arm seemed a little tight to move on pool opening)...I am getting a little sand in the pool, there is always some water in the valve "spokes"...also, I just added CYA to my skimmer, and I see a little bit of that on the bottom of my pool....so it seems there is a bit of a bypass going on....I guess the valve position can't get properly seated because of the lube? How can I remove that? I tried unscrewing the valve to clean it up, but water is coming out of the tank....I guess that is coming from the return? What is the best way to plug up the return when you have a pool light hooked up there? Anything else I should check for? Any help would be most appreciated....

11000 gal above ground pool, Hayward 1 HP pump, Doughboy 17" sand filter

Tammi,

You need to get air into the system (usually there is a screw valve on top of the filter) and the water will drain back to the pool. That'll allow you to work on the multi-port valve.

I am puzzled.....you apparently have worked on it before.....was water coming out of it then?

Another thing, How old is the multi-port? If you recently replaced the gasket, perhaps your spring/washers are bad as well, preventing the valve diffuser from seating with enough pressure. I'm going through this with mine right now, and have the spring parts on the way.

With an above ground pool the filter is below water level so if you don't have valves you're going to have to figure a way to plug the skimmer and return to prevent the water from flowing back out of the piping.

I highly doubt the lube is what's causing the valve to leak.

After thinking about it I think we may be thinking about different things. When you say spokes to us we tend to think it's the spider gasket inside the valve you're talking about, but you're description tends to make me think you're talking about the raised parts on top of the valve. Is that correct?

[edit] I see you described it as I was typing. [end edit]

You are all great! Well, I went to my pool supplier, all they had was a replacement spring, so I am going to attempt to replace that and clean off all the goo I put on top of the valve (between the raised sections on the outside/top of valve, as Bama Rambler suspects---I didn't open anything up to get to the spider gasket)....since my handle seems to have some play in it, up and down wise, I thought this might be a good start...they did not have any of the other parts, washers, spider gasket, etc in stock, so at least I can start with this....my daughter is going to hold the return hose above pool water level to keep it from pouring out while I work on it....here I go............I must be nuts!

Ok, the pump hose is tied up to a ladder, and the return hose is tied up to one of the uprights....all is dry and good in that dept......I've removed the valve, removed the pin to release the handle..cleaned up under it, and it was full of gunk, seriously....the washer looks fine...it has a bit of a hump to it, I'm guessing that's normal, but I hope I'm putting it back on the right way...I'm putting it on, sort of like it is rounding on top, as opposed to the opposite, like a bowl....it is very slight, but I imagine the difference makes a difference. The spring looks fine, so I won't attempt to change that out....looking down into the tank, I can see the spider gasket, and it looks good to me...it does only have 5 spokes...my expoded view shows 6 spokes, but it doesn't appear anything has broken up, everything is smooth and looks like it is supposed to be that way. Also, I imagine if I was missing a spoke, I'd have a much bigger problem with my pool...ok, so now I have 2 additional questions, besides the washer's "hump" direction.....1. does that washer get any lube at all, above or below it, and 2. is there any easy way to get the handle back on? I suppose I'll need someone to push down on it so I can get the pin in....I hope this all solves my problem.....my pool has been nothing but grief so far! Oh, the stories I could tell! Thanks for everything!
-Tammi

The hump should go up.

1. Yes. I would lube everything good while you're in there. Even the spider gasket.
2. No. Pressing the handle down to get the handle pin back in is the best way to do it. I don't think it'll be as hard as you imagine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tammi, if you don't have it back together, one thing I noticed when I recently took mine apart was initially the spider gasket looked fine to me, flat on top and smooth. However the replacement isn't flat on top, the spokes and around the outside diameter is half rounded. Years of use had worn mine smooth. If your spider gasket is smooth on top and the spring and washers are fine, chances are your gasket may need replaced, which is pretty easy and straight forward to do.

I'm curious if your handle range of motion and spring function are improved after you removed all the gunk.

As for lubing the spider gasket, I've seen arguments for and against it. I didn't lube mine, but maybe I should.

Well, it looks to me like it's all going well...the base of the handle is staying dry, and I don't see any new sand depositing, also there was a tiny drip out the backwash fitting, but that is nice and dry now....it was very minor to begin with....I guess the handle couldn't fully engage with all the goop....well, it's working now, pinch me, I must be dreaming....thank you all for being so kind to help me. Have a great night!
-Tammi

Thanks, Rangeball...btw, I responded to your previous post, but I guess I didn't hit submit, because I don't see it up there....no, I didn't replace the spring....it looked fine to me, so I left it alone....also, I did look at the spider gasket after your post, and I did make sure there was roundness, not just flat...I did lube it lightly as Mod Squad recommended...I think that will prevent it from wearing out too fast...anyway, removing the gunk seemed to do the trick for me....I'm learning! Of course, today, I'm having a problem keeping prime while vacuuming...it never ends....I've posted in another section here...this has never happened to me, but I should say it is a new Hayward 1 HP pump....that's the only thing different. We used to have a 1.5 HP for a 21' round pool, and I've read that is way too much for a 17" sand filter, so we're at the 1 HP....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.