I finaly received my test kit amazing!!

bats

Jan 7, 2010
I finaly bought a test kit,and wow this is going be make life so much more simple when it comes to taking care of my pool.Two days ago i went to the pool store for some tests and tell told me that my fc was at 5ppm and that my alcalinity was at 100ppm.

After testing it myself with a fas dpd i came up with a fc of 12.5 and alkalinity of 80ppm.This explains a little why my kids were complaining of red itchi eyes after spending a few hours in the pool last week.My pool must of been at fc 20.I had shocked my pool and let them in a few days later.With the pool store telling me i was at fc5 i believed them.They are not testing using fas dpd.They are just using color matching.

My salt generator was also working alot harder then it had to for nothing.I think i'll be able to bring it down to about 2 hours per day.

Thank you tfp for your great advice,and for your amazing web site .I think the big difference for me is going to be the fact that i am now using 50 ppm cya vs using 0 before.And i completly feel at piece now that i have a good test kit and i find it very percise and easy to use.

This is going to save me alot of money.Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0
because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.He also said that my alkaliniy was at 100 when it was just at 80.

Bama Rambler said:
Congrats on the good test kit :goodjob:

And you already know what the next question is!

Where are the numbers??? :mrgreen:

Here they are !!
ph 7.3 (i'm breaking water with my returns to bring it up to 7.6 )
fc 12.5 (i'll ajust my swg to aim for 8ppm)
cc .5
ch 200
alc 80
cya 50
I run my pump 8 hr per day and my salt generator 2 hours per day

bats said:
Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0 because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.
Yet another nonsense pool store line! They never end and are kind of funny, but I feel bad for everyone who takes their advice...

Melt In The Sun said:
bats said:
Example my pool store wanted me to drain my pool because of the 50ppm cya he told me to bring it to 0 because this was just acid eating up my heater and was going to cause me problems.
Yet another nonsense pool store line! They never end and are kind of funny, but I feel bad for everyone who takes their advice...
Meanwhile the pucks they push bring your pH down to 6 and they never say a word about them being "acid eating up your heater"

Did he happen to mention that the only way to bring your CYA to 0 would be a 100% drain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.