Filter and pump size for 24x52 round pool

You're right on the 1hp pump and you'd be wise to make it a 2-speed. However, you're way to small on the filter. I woudn't consider less then a 300lb filter. You're talking 13,000 gallons of water to have to filter more than once a day.

I run a 0.5hp ful rated pump and a 250lb sand filter (in my sig). Backwash about 2-3 times per season...and I run the pump for 6hrs. Your OK with 1hp, like bama said, if you get a 2 speed, if not a 0.75 regular AGP pump (uprated) or a 0.5hp full rated is more than enough.

If you go 1HP, then yes consider a 300lb filter.

cool. so let me see if Im understanding these pumps. if you have a high hp pump that isnt 2 speed you will have to have a large filter so that it can keep up with the water that inputs through it. If that is the case then why would you buy a bigger hp pump if lower is cheaper and will work. is it the fact that you will have to run it longer.

You need a large pump if you have water features that require high flow rates, for example a waterfall or spa jets. You also need a large pump if your pool is truly huge, though this almost never comes up.

If you have a large pump, you need a large filter, even if it is a two speed pump. It will get run on high speed at some point, and the filter needs to be able to handle that.

Builders like to put in large pumps because pool buyers tend to think that larger is better (even though it isn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pitman, you're correct about the high-hp pumps and large filters. There normally isn't any reason to get a big pump, unless someone has a spa or water features that require a lot of water flow. It costs more to buy, costs more to run, and doesn't provide any benefit over a smaller pump. You do have to run it longer, but it costs less to run per volume of water moved.

That being said, some people with long pools (like 20x40') with only one return at one end have found that a small pump won't circulate the water at the far end, but that won't be an issue with your round pool.

Let me see if I can break it down. You're sort of correct. If you have a large pump you need a filter to match so as not to overcome the filter. But with a small pump it's good to have a large filter for reduced head loss and greater capacity translating into reduced cleaning intervals.
On most pools you don't need a huge flow rate unless you have some special water feature that requires it. However most pool places like to stick a huge pump on the pool.
Most pools would be perfectly happy with a 1/2hp pump or less except for vacuuming with a suction side vacuum. That's the reason for suggesting a 2-speed pump. You run it on low speed for filtering and only need high speed for an hour or so for vacuuming etc.

To me, a 2-speed pump is the best of both worlds. You get the power when and if you need it and you get the power savings the rest of the time. A 2-speed pump moves half as much water on low speed but only uses a sixth of the power as it does on high speed.

[Wow three of us typing at the same time again.]

ok and seems like you all must be correct being all of you all said same thing. lol. what do you mean by a suction side vacuum. like one that uses pump for cleaning and not one that has a built in motor and doesnt use pool pump.

been checking, but they are gone faster than I can email them. lol. I kind of just want something new so less worries. i may go with that one or the one by intex. Just the waterway 2 speed one said something about recomended for wall side skimmer. Do you think it would hurt with the intex setup and also something about needing atleast a 1in return. I dont know if the intex has a 1in or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.